Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GIMP Brush for drawing Buildings

Hey, thanks!

Is there any way to scale them larger without making them... I don't know... jagged-bordered? When I make the Scale on the Pencil brush 2, they have saw-toothed borders.

EDIT: Oh, it seems as though the Paintbrush tool doesn't have the jagged edge like the Pencil.
    Last edited by Sharpe; 10-16-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Blog Entries

EDIT: DISREGARD, another brush was bad

bump...
    Is there a version of this that works with gimp 2.6? The one linked in post one crashes it.
    Last edited by jazzon; 02-26-2012 at 01:49 AM.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the brush! City maps I've always had a hard time with and this will help tremendously

Hi Rob A,

I'd just like to thank you for creating such a clever tool - for a total beginner these shortcuts certainly make the entire process of building a town less daunting!

However one thing I can't get my head around is how to change the colour of the brush. It always comes out grey, no matter what colours I make the foreground or background colour. I've also played around with the Color Options in Paintbrush Tool Options and no matter what I change it to the paintbrush always comes out grey.

My canvas is set to RGB.

I don't just have this difficulty with your brush but with all custom brushes I've downloaded - it seems that the only brushes that change colour for me are the default ones.

Thank you very much for your time.

hitmahip

Quote Originally Posted by hitmahip View Post
    Hi Rob A,

I'd just like to thank you for creating such a clever tool - for a total beginner these shortcuts certainly make the entire process of building a town less daunting!

However one thing I can't get my head around is how to change the colour of the brush. It always comes out grey, no matter what colours I make the foreground or background colour. I've also played around with the Color Options in Paintbrush Tool Options and no matter what I change it to the paintbrush always comes out grey.

My canvas is set to RGB.

I don't just have this difficulty with your brush but with all custom brushes I've downloaded - it seems that the only brushes that change colour for me are the default ones.

Thank you very much for your time.

hitmahip
    If they are grey, first check to see if your image is set to greyscale or indexed (Image -> Mode). If it is not RGB then you will not be able to paint in color.

The second thing is the type of image hose. If it is a full colour brush then it will typically only paint in the created colours, regardless of your foreground and background colour choices.

Also, brush dynamics in Gimp 2.8 make this sort of rotating brush superfluous, as it supports an angular dynamic out of the box, so a much simpler (and smaller filesize) random building brush would work just as well.

-RobA>

RobA is there much interchangability between PS / Gimp brushes? I'm barely literate in PS and no knowledge of Gimp, but I've found quite a few brushes for Gimp here and elsewhere which might be useful in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
    RobA is there much interchangability between PS / Gimp brushes? I'm barely literate in PS and no knowledge of Gimp, but I've found quite a few brushes for Gimp here and elsewhere which might be useful in the future.
    Gimp can use most ABR photoshop brushes (as well as most any image file), but photoshop can not use any gimp brushes, as far as I know.

-Rob A>

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Nice Trick, have to try this.

Praise GIMP Brushes

Amazing that 10 years later PS cc still can't do any of this!
    I shall be downloading GIMP for Mac OS X and attempting to progress this "brush buildings" concept. Brilliant work! Thanks for the education folks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234