Map (Click to enlarge)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cryptMap.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	109518

Created in: Photoshop / Illustrator

Review

Our first dungeon map! I'm so glad that when it came, it was this one.

A good dungeon map needs an incredible amount of detail and coherence and it's all here. Every element (note the number of different corpse symbols) has been drawn by the author of the map himself. This map is a hymn to the good dungeon - every room tells a story, the lighting and the elements are consistent, telling of a single hand which drew everything. I love the flash of orange at the top.

DevinNight says:
    I started work on this map by googling crypts and was lucky to find a national geographic article on the crypts in Sicily. They have all these corpses on display and the crypts are open to the public. It seemed creepy to be able to walk down halls and go into rooms filled with corpses.
    I wanted to make a map that seems inviting yet slightly claustrophobic and a bit more fantasy like with the carvings of the demons supporting the walls and watching people as they go past.
    I did a quick sketch on paper of the layout, I can't say I put too much thought into it. Just got some shapes in there. Then the sunken room to the north needed some good lighting to show that it was sunken. My original idea was to have a demon-like creature coming out of the wall and hanging over the walkway there.. but that would have been confusing.
    I always knew that the secret tomb would be much cleaner looking, but that is where I picture the final confrontation to be.
    If you look at the WIP thread it started from the image below.

This map is an entry for a contest hosted by I.C.E. Enterprises...somehow I think it's got a very good chance of winning.

Thank you DevinNight for showing us how you made this map with a detailed WIP.

Brilliant stuff!

Original thread
    Click here to view the original thread.

Good choice! This is an awesome, awesome dungeon map. One of the best I have seen on this forum, ever.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Excellent call Ravells. This is a real stunner and deserves all the accolades it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Excellent call Ravells. This is a real stunner and deserves all the accolades it gets.

I think this map is so good it engenders spontaneous virgin births in Llamas and Goats!

And I already know Torstan Agrees!

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I should have known that would get me into trouble....

Not a big fan of the dungeon maps in general, but this one floored me. Wonderful!
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Thanks a ton guys. I appreciate the great.. and funny.. comments.

I'm learning just through osmosis of all the great talent on these forums.
    Thanks to the guild.

-D
    Last edited by ravells; 05-06-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Guild Applicant

This is a fun one laddy!! The art and detail are amazing!! Very nice.
    Last edited by ravells; 05-06-2009 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast