Thread: Hello

Guild Applicant

Post Hello

So, after a bit of a hiatus I finally got my return to fantasy roleplaying, currently with D&D, and for the first time in over a decade getting back in the DM seat.

And as I'm fleshing out the campaign and game world, naturally that means I need maps! So looking around for info on how to make nice looking maps on the computer (I can use a pencil, but only barely =P) I found this place, and being able to get great quality stuff in Photoshop (which I use regularly anyway) is far nicer than trying to learn a new set of mechanical mapping software (I tried my hand at CC3, but it felt a bit too clunky for me).

I've been reading up on a few tutorials since registering last night, most notably the rather lovely Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map although I'm having some troubles translating the early stuff from GIMP to Photoshop, so in the meantime I'm reading other tutorials as well.

Beyond the technical aspects, I also feel I need to read up on the geographical aspects - as in, the patterns to geographical features, dos and don'ts, and all that. I've already read up on the pitfalls of rivers, but since the current starting area involves a semi-isolated area with a swamp and a port on a peninsula bordered off by mountains, I'm trying to figure out if there are any huge problems with that concept before I get too far with the details.

Welcome to the Guild!

Nope nothing at wrong with your idea. Swamps can easily be bordered by mountians. Check this link and read up on Indonesia: http://www.eosnap.com/?tag=swamp
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

If the GIMP to Photoshop conversion of RobA's tutorial is giving you trouble there are some Photoshop-specific tutorials in there as well.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work, don't be afraid to post something up in the WIP forum.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice

Hey there, and welcome to the forums!