Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thus-Far Unnamed Village

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In that case, make the amphitheatre round...you could have it be multi-functional then. Put the animals in there for the local fair to judge who's got the biggest pig, put some wrestlers in there for the local olympics-style games. A traveling troupe could set up there for a week or two. Stuff like that. I think too much about the reality of things so don't mind me...I'm more of a thinker than a doer. Cheers, mate.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I believe I have heard others in the Guild say 1 mile sqaure cultivated land for 180 people (Neonknight most recently, I believe). Even for 60, I don't know that you'll get it all in one map. As for buildings, services, etc, you might refer to Domesday here;
    http://www.rpglibrary.org/utils/meddemog/
    Just checked above resource, it seems the only thing that Domesday Book is certain about being present are 3 Clergymen (even 1 armed agent of the governing power has only a 67% chance of being present). It has its limitations, but it's a fun resource to look at.

Nice start, btw,
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 05-06-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Guild Apprentice

@Ascension: That's a pretty awesome idea, I'll set that up. And hey, it's good to have you pointing this stuff out. I mean, the whole point of this sort of forum is to have a lot of different points-of-view, backgrounds, knowledge-bases, etc. to help everyone improve what they do, no? You're helping to put reality into my towns. The peasants will thank you (and then they'll get right back to work).

@Feralspirit: That is officially an amazing link. Thanks, I'll probably end up using that a lot!
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarri View Post
    @Gandwarf: Well...most of the people live where they work (contrary to my earlier statements - have I warned you I'm fickle?). I was debating that for a long time, but it seems most accurate. There are hovels in the farmlands, but other than that, there aren't really houses.
    Well, if you changed your mind about this... let me just say it's a bit unrealistic your village has so many dedicated professions available. A smith I can imagine, but a baker, butcher, thatcher, carpenter, etc? If necessary the peasants would gather clay or wood themselves, they would bake their own bread and slaughter their own animals (if even available to them). Dedicated craftsmen would be mostly found in cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarri View Post
    I'm looking forward to finishing it in SU just to see what it looks like, but I'll probably stay away from village design for a while after this. I think I'll mostly stick with buildings, they're so much less complex...
    Well, if you create enough buildings you can easily create more towns. It's a matter of just plopping them down in Sketchup. There are a lot of fantasy models already available on the 3D Warehouse by the way.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12