Thread: Greetings!

Post Greetings!

Hello everyone, I have actually been registered for a while but haven't posted. I actually came here looking for map tutorials for the fantasy world I'm creating. After trying several programs and tutorials I had to remind myself of my no artistic talents. So I'm actually looking into the map making requests forum for some help to create my fantasy map.

See yall around!
    -CJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome to the guild Iceman.

I suggest posting up a WIP of your efforts before calling it quits on making maps yourself. It is true that some of the tutorials might be a bit confusing to someone who is only just starting to map by comp, but it is also true that a question never asked will never recieve an answer. If you are having problems with a tutorial, post where you are at and ask your questions. We are usually (eyes a certain recent thread) a friendly bunch quite willing to help people get the most enjoyment out of the map making process.

If you do do this, you will be surpised at how much the computer can compensate for one's "lack of talent" and also how fast you will find yourself improving your "non-existant skills".

Trust me in this, you are not the first to claim a complete lack of talent, and you would not be the last to willing eat those very words a few months or even weeks down the road.

So, in closing, stick around and show us what you got.

*edit* just noticed SG got his 300 rep!! congrats!!!
    Last edited by Korash; 05-05-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: ol'eagle eye here
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Seriously don't worry about not being artistic. Drawing a good map (depends on the style of course) is more about procedure ... it's more like doing Soduku or a crossword. It's a question of seeing in your mind's eye what you generally want and then fighting the software....and then playing with all the sliders and buttons that you can see and finding something wonderful and using that (even though it wasn't quite what you wanted in the first place). That's my approach to mapping in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Seriously don't worry about not being artistic. Drawing a good map (depends on the style of course) is more about procedure ... it's more like doing Soduku or a crossword. It's a question of seeing in your mind's eye what you generally want and then fighting the software....and then playing with all the sliders and buttons that you can see and finding something wonderful and using that (even though it wasn't quite what you wanted in the first place). That's my approach to mapping in a nutshell.
    I agree. I'm a relative noob with only moderate artistic skills, so I don't feel like I should be making pretty maps. But I feel like the quality of my maps improved dramatically in just a day or two as I learned how to use noise and filters to do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Stick with it for a bit and I suspect you will be impressed.

I'll have to give it another go, I did find a program from these forums that lets you create random continents, I'll see if I can't find a map I like from that, then shouldn't be to hard to add terrain and such to that.

Guild Apprentice

Hey there,

Don't be discouraged so easily. The first time I used a friend's Photoshop to make something, I was staring at it for a good thirty minutes. I never did get to making maps that day. All I can say is follow some of the tutorials on here, they're really good.

Good luck, and show us something soon!