Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DnD Campaigne Map - using Gimp

Post DnD Campaigne Map - using Gimp

Well, the title could improve I think...
    Anyway, after a long absent I'm back with another try. I used Roba's tutorial for a interior inveroment and started with the mountains (because they were especially important for me). The mountains in the north are the Dragonspine Mountains, in the south are the Blue Hills.

I try to post my progress here and am happy to read encouraging and critical comments from this great community (and I hope I don't get stuck in some details...)

So this is todays work after three hours and the same picture with the underlying rough concept. I'm not sure about the width but you should walk from north of the map to the south in about two weeks (not included climbing on hills)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karte.png 
Views:	348 
Size:	336.0 KB 
ID:	12712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vorlage mit Karte.png 
Views:	206 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	12713  
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Second turn: I realized that 500*500 is too small so I copied the whole map (every layer) into a 2000*2000 field. Worked surprisingly well.
    Then I added River and Dirt layer. Somehow I'm not very happy about the rivers... I think I can't bump them too look as if they are a bit lower than the land.

Anyway, here is the next iteration of the map:

Name:	Lowangen1000.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	12756  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is coming along nicely...

Couple of ideas/suggestions;

1) Darken the water color - it seems very bright
    2) Put a slight inner bevel on your rivers (color it a shade of brown or tan), it will help to prevent them from looking like they are lying on top of or floating above terrain
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

I like the mountains quite a bit. The river in the NE corner is doing some weird things path-wise, at least to my eye. I really like the overall layout / design of the rivers themselves. I look forward to seeing more of this map!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll second Steel in that the river color needs to be more muted and darker but also try clipping the rivers so that they don't travel over the mountains too far. Blue rivers and orange mountains clash a whole heck of a lot.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

NymTevlyn

You could desaturate the mountains and apply a layer mask (hue/saturation) and colorize it to tone down the mountains. At least... that's how I would do it in photoshop. Not sure how that works in GIMP.

Ok, thanks for all the input.

Today I played a bit so the mapped changed mostly in minor details... except for the woods of course. Don't know if I'm happy with them, I think I have to play with the bump there, too.

I changed the color of the mountains a bit, inserting a timberline clip mask and I changed the color of the rivers. The rivers are overall darker now and the rivers in the mountains and in the plainlands have different colors now.
    Oh, and I need the rivers in the mountains since one adventure played in the mountains on a river...

Still not found how to bevel the rivers... didn't quite get it with the GIMP-tutorial.

So, todays update:

Name:	Lowangen groß2.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	12771  

NymTevlyn

Now add a little bevel and noise to the rivers.

Thanks for the interest and the critics, I think I got some decent bevel, now I'm working on the noise... and the woods. Hope to get something viewable together tomorrow.

Beveled rivers with noise, changed forest texture and added Towns, Villages and Hamlets.

To do:

- Town and Village names
    - Roads
    - Legend
    - Compass (extra if I have enough time)

Critics welcome...

(Technical details: I'm drawing in 2000*2000 pixels but resize the image to 1000*1000 so it's not too big to upload)

Name:	Lowangenv2-1.png 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	12822  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast