Thread: [Award Winner] Quick hand-drawn style forests

Blog Entries

Tutorial [Award Winner] Quick hand-drawn style forests

Ok, posting this in here at the request of Ravells, although I have to admit I feel a little weird doing so, it hardly constitutes a tutorial, especially amongst all the other great threads in here.

Anyway, that said, here's my little tip for creating a quick, hand-drawn style forest with a kind of, hopefully, seamless manual tiling. (This is copied over from this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5397)

When I was looking into using a multi-tree brush on my map, I found one good way to do it was to stagger the edges of the brush. Basically, you make your new image, fill it with your tree brushes but at the edges alternate between a tree and a tree-sized gap. That way, when you lay out your forests you just lay the pieces like a jigsaw. It's obviously not as fast as filling a selection with a seamless pattern but it does allow for a little more variation to fool the eye by placing the pieces staggered and maybe leaving some little clearings. Then just go around the edge of the forest and place some individual trees to mask the fact it is done in squares and voila, a nice forest.

No need for feathering to try and mask that it is a pattern and chop trees in half in the process.

Ok...

Start by making some quick tree brushes.

I made about half a dozen like the following...

Name:  Tree1.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  17.9 KB

Then I whipped up a quick brush from the smaller brushes smaller brushes. As you will see I staggered the edges and added a little pencil-like shading in between which looks very rough but as I am making these a lot bigger than I need it looks ok when they are made smaller.

Name:  Forest 1.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  21.4 KB

I then sketched out a very, very quick forest with this brush. It took me about 10 seconds or so. The brush isn't perfect so there is overlapping in places but that can be fixed with more care spent over the original brush and with better placement. I also added some single trees around the edge with one of the brushes I used to make the main forest brush.

Name:  Forest 2.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  21.7 KB

As you can see, it can look very effective with minimal effort. At least I think so. The staggered edge helps mask the fact that this was made using a shortcut technique. Certainly you have more control than over a seamless pattern fill.

I hope this helps someone.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good stuff, man. Actually, pretty close to be one of the uber tips here for those of us making antique or hand-drawn maps. I will certainly give this a whirl.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I agree. It may not seem like much, but this is really sharp. Just a little bit of work up front to make the tiles and then a lot of ground covered quick after that. Staggering the trees at the edges is a fab idea.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

This is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Not typically my style, but still great stuff!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.