Thread: Fyråkra

Map Fyråkra

Just a small test map using CD3 in combination with PS. The background is done in PS and then imported into CD3. All buikdings and trees are CD3.
    Thought I should put it up for display to see if you guys think the hole thing blends well together.

:-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fyråkra.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	13137  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks OK to me, if you hadn't mentioned that you used PS I probably wouldn't have known.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking good! I am interested to see what kind of cities you can come up with
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Looks OK to me, if you hadn't mentioned that you used PS I probably wouldn't have known.
    That was kind of the idea. I find CD3 great for houses and symbols but completely worthless when it comes to create some terrain. But that could also be me not knowing how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Looking good! I am interested to see what kind of cities you can come up with
    So am I :-) My problem is mainly to get time to map....I really wish the day was about 30 h.

Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    That was kind of the idea. I find CD3 great for houses and symbols but completely worthless when it comes to create some terrain. But that could also be me not knowing how to do it.
    Well, the terrain you created in Photoshop in this example could also be done in CD3, so it's not worthless (also depending on the style you want to achieve of course).

However, I do think Photoshop is far superior to CD3 when it comes to more complex terrain.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Well, the terrain you created in Photoshop in this example could also be done in CD3, so it's not worthless (also depending on the style you want to achieve of course).

However, I do think Photoshop is far superior to CD3 when it comes to more complex terrain.
    Well I think I have to rephrase, I'm worthless when it comes to create terrain for cities in CD3 http://www.cartographersguild.com/im.../icon_razz.gif

I have some ideas of some more complicated terrain, but I thought I should go out do something simple first. So I can learn the workflow.

Hehe...
    Anyway, I like the hedges near the houses. That's something I am going to copy some time

Very cool.... Is it just me, or do most of those trees look pretty square????? Perhaps you could add just a tiny hint of shadow or outer glow to those hedges to give them some body/height?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.