Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time

Wip First Time

Ok this is my first time attempting to make a map that wasnt just sketched out real quick on a piece of paper. Im using GIMP and would love any info on what you think I should improve etc.

Just be gentle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_first_attempt.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	450.3 KB 
ID:	13142  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks fine to me. Anything else is just aesthetics (making it look pretty). To that end you might try some masonry patterns on the walls, some shadows, some torches on the walls, stuff like that. Depends on what sort of mood you're trying to set...a temple basement, a dark and creepy basement under a spooky house, a barracks store room. All of that stuff takes time and practice so I'd check out some of the finished maps and see if there are things in those maps that you could incorporate style-wise. The main thing, though, is that this looks good as is, clear and straight-forward without a bunch of junk to clutter it up.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks! Im still working on the walls and right now the stairs are bugging me. Ive seen all these great maps from the time ive spent lurking abouts and how nice the steps look... yet I just cant get mine to a point im happy with so far

I'll upload what Ive improved on tomarrow. And thanks for the feedback

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I think that in order to have decent stairs you need to work some shadows onto them. Just something to remember is that shadows extend in away form the source of light. For stairs they would usually be at the corner between the tread of the lower step and the rise of the next step up.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Ok heres some tweaking to it. Im trying to flesh it out alittle so its not so bland. I dont want it over the top tho either.

Name:	wip_second_attempt.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	535.5 KB 
ID:	13163  

Looking a lot better!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks! all of you guys make this seem so easy! I have to say as frustating as it is for me, I am having alot of fun more often than not!

Any suggestion for the room in the lower part of the map? I didnt have to much of a plan on this when I first made it. I was just thinking of it as some type of ruin that was repurposed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Personally, I love the steps for that raised room...I think it's the best room in the place. If it was an old mini shrine type thing then I'd put in some sort of busted statue, broken pillars, other brick-a-brack like that, maybe a rug, or an altar. Don't overdo the decorating, though, or those details come to dominate the thing. Here's a much simpler idea...put in a bath tub and make it the wash room
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Kalzix View Post
    Thanks! all of you guys make this seem so easy! I have to say as frustating as it is for me, I am having alot of fun more often than not!
    I bet you would be surprised how much time most people fuss and redo their map over and over. The main thing, like you said, is that you *enjoy* fussing and obsessing!

I like the new version a lot. One recommendation would be to block out the grid outside of the actual map... I think that makes the actual floor of the map stand out a little stronger.

Ok I removed the grid off the parts that aren't actual map. I also toned down the grid a little bit. Does this make the map look nicer to you guys? I think it looks a little better. Im still working on something to place in the bottom room. Im trying to make everything by hand atm and im not very good in the arts department lol.

Ok so I tried putting an altar in. Im not sure im happy with how it looks tho.

Name:	wip_third_attempt.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	747.6 KB 
ID:	13169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_fourth_attempt.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	721.8 KB 
ID:	13190  
    Last edited by Kalzix; 05-10-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast