Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new world map, untitled

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip A new world map, untitled

Was feeling kinda bored and not really feeling like doing anything too intense, so I messed around for a few hours and came up with this, more to keep my brain still working than anything. I kind of like it so I think I'll keep on messing around with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	13155  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Hey,

It's very pretty, and I like the old-style, almost sienna look of it. I wish I could draw rivers with the same flair.

Do us a favor...stay bored.

Do you plan on putting mtns in? If so how can you do rivers before mtns? Maybe I'm OCD.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

The rivers were mainly there to serve as a guide for those new folks who need to see how rivers look...in a rough sort of way. The mountains are going to be a hand-drawn style so I can plop them into the larger blank spaces. I never focus too stringently on how real the geology might be so yes, the mountains should come first in order to determine where the rivers are, I just thought I'd try the opposite approach and lay in some rivers to determine where the mountains would be. I just sort of let my hand wander around making squiggles and see what happens. I start with a few long rivers attached to inlets or bays, then add some branches to them, then follow up with smaller rivers to fill up space. Once I see a clear blank spot appearing I then start planning my branches to go towards that blank space. My biggest concern is that this is going to be too small and might have to go and double it...trying to force myself into doing something small though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Messin around some more things got really dirty and grungy so I started working towards something you might find in a goblin lair. Then I thought, if this is going to be in the bottom of some lair it would be pretty valuable, maybe even magic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	2.92 MB 
ID:	13188  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a great look - but I find the fonts with the 'golden aura' very hard to read. (that might just be me though)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree I've been fighting with those for most of the time.

Well, as a member of The Cartographer's Guild speaking to a Community Leader of same, I'm certain I don't need to remind you that all maps are magical, , but I find the idea of an enchanted map intriguing. What did you have in mind? Charm against getting lost? Maybe something on par with Boots of League Travel? Perhaps a full on Gate to other places (or plane)? The last may explain why goblinkind are so far flung and prevalent (which, in my worlds, they generally are).

As always, Ascension, a great map. Don't stop fighting the text quite yet, though.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

I'm wondering, depending on size, if you might make this into an animated gif/png to enhance the "magic".

I do find the "burn"/dark zones on the 2nd version a bit too much, and it isnt' as pleasing to my eye. The first release is so clear and striking...perhaps a happy medium?

I was thinking more along the lines of Ultima-style gates but with more freedom. Instead of going to a specific spot (gate) you could go anywhere you want. To prevent popping up in the middle of a tree I'm going to put some sigils on the map that have different functions: start (to start the map), view (to see the area where you want to go), go (to go to the spot), off (obvious) and maybe some others that I haven't thought of yet (cuz I don't know what else to add). I'm going to look at some abstract stuff like Egyptian and see what can be used, like maybe a flyover, pan, zoom, find a cave, find a town, find a mountain, find a lake, stuff like that.

As for animation, it's all Greek to me. If I knew the first thing about that then I would certainly go for a lil video with a hand pushing the buttons and maps popping up. The glow effects on the text would also not be there unless "pushed"...they'd be a dark brown. Maybe I should dump the effects in that case and make two maps.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast