Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SketchUp Building Starter Kit

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post SketchUp Building Starter Kit

While working on my Charedon map I was steadfastly refusing to model the cities in Sketch Up because I didn't have any houses and I didn't want to make any. Plus I was trying to stay entirely within Photoshop. Once I had it done, however, I knew that I needed to do up some quickie houses, for ISO reference if nothing else. And now I can model up any city I want with these predefined buildings.

The Guild doesn't allow for uploading the .skp file so I zipped it. It's not colored but you can modify and play with it 'til your heat's content, if you have SkecthUp that is. These are various 1-story buildings, some walls and towers, huts, teepees, and a tent. They are not painted so that you can make your own house a block building or a Tudor style with the appropriate pattern (you might have to make your own Tudor patterns though).

I plan to add to this file with much more outdoor stuff (no swords or critters) and more buildings, walls, wells, stairways, gallows, etc. You can also check out the SketchUp warehouse as they have a ton of stuff (I love the Battletech mechs and Sci-Fi spaceships).

Ultimately these have little to do with the ages old mapping styles and are more appropo for the ISO style, top down style, or just to get your shadows correct. Hope these help, they did for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	basic houses.jpg 
Views:	1600 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	8030  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ascension; 11-23-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Huh. Is sketchup capable of exploding panel views? Like so I wouldn't need pepekura to create papercraft buildings?

I could see myself making some awesome office buildings in real life with this.

I have absolutely no idea. I barely know how to use the thing myself
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Also of interest is Layout 2. It looks kind of like an Inkscape/Illustrator lite. Not sure what to make of it.

Thought I'd post up some other things I've done in SU over the past few years. All are unfinished as I lost steam but are fun nonetheless. In the chambers I was just laying out a big suite of rooms for a king, was just getting to the piano before I stopped. The citadel was my second castle attempt; the chains for the drawbridge gave me all sorts of headaches and I never got around to putting in the rest of the buildings. The farm was a straight up mapping attempt of the ground floor of a farm. ISO town was first done in Photoshop then imported into SketchUp to put some buildings on in order to get realistic shadows. The wall section with turret was another castle attempt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chambers.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	621.0 KB 
ID:	12028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	citadel 2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	12030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farm 2.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	12031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISO town.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	1,013.1 KB 
ID:	12032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall 3.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	521.8 KB 
ID:	12033  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wow, they look really impressive. Very nice.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Love the wall portion with the round tower - neat stuff.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Impressive indeed. Did you create all the furniture in the model of the chambers yourself?
    If so, it must have taken quite some time
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Just an FYI... You can now attach .skp files in your posts.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast