Thread: Myrland - by November

Post Myrland - by November

Hello, forum dwellers.

Making maps and levels for game was my passion from the very beginning. I tried myself in making maps for such games as Starcraft/Warcraft, Allods, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc. But only a month ago I decided to make a map as a image. Your site was really helpful since it was the first time ever I tried to draw something in graphical editors.

For this map I used GIMP 2.6 and some of brushes I found here. It is an attempt on a fan-art of a MMORPG called Mortal Online, which is not released yet. Because of this reason my map has a lack of names and places, but I tried to be correct at maximum with a description, given on MO forum.

Am posting this map here because I need some feedbacks on techniques I used. Also I haven't managed to create some additional pictures like ships, sea monsters, pretty looking boards with information and other things that can be easily found on each second old-style map, so looking forward for your comments and, maybe, it will help me to progress as a mapmaker.

Here is my map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myrland_second.jpg 
Views:	1674 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	13174  

Welcome November!
    Have some rep for posting your first map, which also looks pretty good. I certainly recognise some of the brushes

Overall everything works really well together. I am not a big fan of the blood, though. The bloody fingerprints look kinda cool, but the blood pool in the top right corner looks a bit funny to me.

There is a river near the Plains of Myrland that suddenly ends on land? What's up with that?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Very good indeed - have some more rep and welcome

Well, bloodpool was a thing I decided to try for this time. In this case it was useful for two reasons: a) I tried to blur layers that were laying under the blood spots and see where it will lead; b) and the place, covered by the bloodpool used to be a new continent, on which we don't have information.

Talking about river: in place where it ends, after a systems of waterfalls it goes underground.

If the river in question goes underground then so be it, the problem that I see is that it splits downstream. Again, if there's some reason for it then that's fine but otherwise it should probably look more like a new river joining up with the other river...ie: have it come from the northeast instead of the southeast.

Overall, I like the look of it...the brown pattern/texture is quite nice. Instead of blood you could put the cartouche there (the banner that holds things like title, scale, compass). Nice job and I hope we see how it progresses.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps