Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velaidia - Before shot

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Wip Velaidia - Before shot

Hi everyone!

This is the "before" shot of a map for my novel. I hate it on many levels, but I've lost all objectivity. What I'm trying to decide now (and would love some feedback on) is whether I should rework this landmass when I start using all the tutorials and advice here, or completely start over.

I'm concerned that the mountain ranges make no sense and that my subconscious was trying to recreate France when I created the coastline - so I'm leaning toward starting over.

This was handdrawn using mouse, Photoshop, GIMP, and some custom (also handdrawn) brushes for both.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing I would suggest is that the "witches nose" sticking out to the left would have to have some reason to be higher than the water level...ie, add some hills or mountains down the middle there to form a spine. I'm sure there all sorts of examples to prove me wrong (so don't bother posting them up), but it's just something that my brain expects to see. Otherwise, I'd say it's good to go.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the feedback

I actually remember considering that when I started that one, but I'm not sure where the consideration went, hehe. I think it devolved into hills around the periphery, which doesn't quite cut it. I'm pretty sure I'm starting the thing over anyhow.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

My eye wants to keep rotating this 90 degrees counter-clockwise so that the 'thicker' land mass is on the top.

But regardless of that it's a neat shape and a great start.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmm, that's something I hadn't thought of ... maybe rotating it would solve some of the shape issues I have with it. I'll try playing with it a bit before I scrap it entirely.

Thanks!

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm concerned that the mountain ranges make no sense and that my subconscious was trying to recreate France when I created the coastline - so I'm leaning toward starting over.
    The coastline made me think of Cornwall rather than France.

And what are you concerns about the mountains? That they don't fit into plate tectonic patterns?

Yeah, pretty much the tectonics issue. I can see the bottom being Cornwall-esque

Guild Novice

Then just stop to worry and advance.
    Even though I am a geologist, who sometimes nitpicks map features I deem to be unrealistic, I do not see any unexplainable features.

Maybe your mountains aren't even caused by plate tectonics (there are other processes that can cause mountains to rise).

Thanks for all the great advice guys ... here's a stab at reworking the mountains. Do these look a little more believable?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say that they look like some of the best ones I've seen following the tut. Good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast