Thread: My first try at Regional Maps

Post My first try at Regional Maps

I ran across RobA's brilliant tutorial while browsing that section of the forums, so I put together a couple of maps based on his tutorial. The first is one I'm using for a comedic campaign for evil characters, the second is just random names I thought up while making the map, mostly because I was working out the stuff I messed up on the first one. I feel like the fens in the first one came out pretty well, that was an addition of my own that I was pretty proud of.

So what do people think? Horrifyingly bad, barely good enough to not give you cancer? Tell it like it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QuerathMap1.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	13201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overworld1.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	13202  

I like the colors on these maps alot... very vibrant. I also like the forest (seelie) on the left map, especially the sort of abrupt edge of it.

While I think the mountains have a good texture, the edges are very abrupt. Most mountains tend to trail off into foothills. Ironically, the same effect I like on the forest I don't like on the mountains. Also, the fens on the left map look a little like forests. I might suggest a different color.

Still very nice maps.

If you would like to have a more 'natural' edge to your mountains and forests, try the tutorial in my sig - it may help, although I'm not sure how easily it fits into RobA's tutorial.

Very nice work on both maps though. You've followed the tutorial well. Next step is to make it more individual to your own style by playing with different settings and using different textures.