Thread: World Map - Satellite References

Link World Map - Satellite References

I was going through satellite images today, trying to get a better feel for what satellites show us as our Earth, and found a couple good ones that I've decided to share.

If anyone else has any reference images they have spirited away that would fit well into this collection, just post them here, and I'll try to keep the list updated.

The first, from Wikimedia's database, is a gif that appears to be a procession of the seasons on a composite satellite image of Earth. Definitely useful to anyone attempting world maps with Earth-like climate patterns.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Earth-satellite-seasons.gif 
Views:	2087 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	13203

Next, one of the largest satellite images I was able to find on the web, aside from Google Earth (which I personally think suffers a lot from its level of detail at this range):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Earth_satellite_plane.jpg 
Views:	3953 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	13204

And third is a link to The Living Earth, a website that sells texture maps of the globe. Might be some useful references, here:
    The Living Earth - (http://iwake1.temp.veriohosting.com/Texture_Maps_g56.html)

Blog Entries

The NASA pic is the blue marble. You can find it in many places on the web since its a public domain image. I made a post about one of the higher res versions here tho:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3834

If you have attached the pic on the site then it must be < 5000 pix but the one linked to is about 180,000 pix wide. I.e. its silly. You can opt to get lower tho. So if you need the marble in high res then head on over there.

In browsing the web today, looking at satellite shots of rivers and being again disgusted with Google yet again, I stumbled across this website that I thought might interest you all:

http://www.flashearth.com/
    It's very similar to Google Earth, only I find the level of detail much more useful to those constructing world/regional maps, and it offers several different map options from which to peruse.

The same website also appears to have an interactive planetarium/night sky. Very intriguing.

-asp
    Last edited by altasilvapuer; 05-19-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, that's the one I use and always plug It doesn't hog up memory on my pc and it doesn't have that patchwork quilt look of Google.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps