• A small tavern - industrygothica

15 48.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** April / May 09 Lite Challenge Voting - One Story Building ***

Post *** April / May 09 Lite Challenge Voting - One Story Building ***

*** April / May 09 Lite Challenge Voting - One Story Building ***

Vote for 2 entries

Thank you to everyone who took part in this month's challenge. We have had some very high standard entries this month which is good to see in the lite challenge.

Good luck and may the best map win!

Thumbnails attached below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maymaps.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	668.1 KB 
ID:	13214  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Man, I can't decide. I need some time to think this one over. They all have their good points but the varying styles makes it hard for me to really pin down two.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Indeed, there is a stark contrast of styles here. I'm going to study for a bit as well, since I can't bring myself to vote for me.

-IG

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Clearly some look more professional than others but all show an understanding of the concepts and techniques. Very hard; so I made up something arbitrary that takes skill and style out of the equation: which setting would I have the most fun in if it were real? To that end I voted for Guy and Lwax. For being a lite challenge, this was the hardest vote I've ever cast...period. Congrats to you all and if had I thought of some other criteria first then my vote would have been different.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I was torn between so many of them. I really, really liked the idea of 'one man's fort' - it was genius and IG's tavern was excellent too, but in the end, I had to make a choice.

Yep, this was a hard vote. I think all the maps are kinda cool and because the styles vary so much, it's so hard to decide which map to pick!

Anyway, I picked Guyanonymous, because I love the idea he got. And I very much like IG's tavern as well.

Hard!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks for the votes of confidence...it has definitely encouraged me to enter a contest in the future. I especially appreciate it, as my map isn't really a "gamer's" map.

Blog Entries

I voted for Iso cos I am biased and he was sat there on a 0 which is not good and then IG's map does look very nice so I went with that one too. But really all of them are great. I liked Lwaxanas cushions and UKs map and the grass and terrain were great in others as well. None deserve to lose.

It's a real nail-biter, this one!

My first vote went to msa. The map itself looks a bit incomplete, but I really like the style. Second went to guyanonymous just because it makes me feel like a kid again.

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    My first vote went to msa. The map itself looks a bit incomplete, but I really like the style. Second went to guyanonymous just because it makes me feel like a kid again.
    Thanks for the love! I made this entry, in part, to work on doing stone in a style consistent with another map. I'm working on on building up the style further in the WiP thread here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5525

It was a tough vote for me, too. I was really drawn to the crisp and uncluttered look and sketch style of the wayside temple, and even through I disliked the repetitive texture and furniture, I voted for it. In the end, my second choice was shrine of the mother because of the detailed elements, although in hindsight I'm not sure if those were part of a map toolkit or hand-drawn. The mages house and small tavern were very close contenders... I think the decision could have gone any way. Honestly, the other maps were really nice too, but the color palette's didn't jive with me even though I think they were all the right palettes for the style and theme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast