Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Forest Style looks better to you?

Guild Journeyer

Post Which Forest Style looks better to you?

Hello all again, I am nearing the finish line on this continent, however I just can seem to decide which forest style I like better. The first is a layer of bump mapped green spots and the second is a forest texture. I like the scattered look of the bump map but I also like how the color of the Texture layer blends into all the mountain valleys, a blending I cant accomplish with the dots. I like both really so i thought i would post it up for some "communal opinion".
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest Bump.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	13216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest Texture.jpg 
Views:	508 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	13217  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think I prefer the texture.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I like the one on the right better overall, but not because of the forest, if that makes sense. It's the rivers.

The left looks better by a bit for the forest itself, but the rivers look like they're sitting on top of it. On the right, the rivers look more inset, which I tend to like better. I also like the darker green.

However, if you beveled the rivers a little bit, I'd probably switch my opinion to the left, because the texture is indeed nice.

Guild Journeyer

I mixed the two;
    Adding a second splattering of a second shade of green, motion blurred it straight up a little and re-bump mapped the layer. I then turned the texture layer to overlay and slid it under the bump mapped layer to add that green underglow look. What do you guys think... better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forest Mix.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	13219  

Yes, I like this third one better. Nice job on the rivers by the way. Though you did leave me wondering if the river coming down from the mountain with the castle icon on it (center-left) going to the smaller lake is supposed to have that discontinuity in it.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Yes, the third one gives a nice best-of-both effect.

I really like the forests and rivers in the third version, good job.
    I think the mountains should pop out a bit more, though...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yup, I think you've nailed it in the third, although now that Gidde's mentioned it (I hadn't noticed it before), I think you've still got 'floating rivers' maybe erase a a tiny bit of the forests around the rivers? Don't know...

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Yup, I think you've nailed it in the third, although now that Gidde's mentioned it (I hadn't noticed it before), I think you've still got 'floating rivers' maybe erase a a tiny bit of the forests around the rivers? Don't know...
    Will do, there are some straight edges from the mask I used I want to clean up and yea there are a few river artifacts where I forgot to continue the path all the way to the coast.

Gandalf... I cant seem to make the pop up any more, I used a grayscale heightmap eroded in Wilbur and then bump mapped it. Cant seem to get it to pop much more... and the snow caps flattened them out further.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast