Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Congrats!! Now if only I can find a similar deal... I have a friend that has a digital drum set I wonder if he would miss it if parts started disappearing?

No I wouldn't do that! Sheesh!
    NOW.....Any suggestion on the best way to learn to use it? Is is definitely a different beast than the mouse, yet not quire as intuitive as drawing on paper. Guess I have to relearn my hand eye coordination.

I played a couple hours of Neverwinter Nights with mine. By the time I'd finished three or four quests, I was using it about as accurately as my mouse.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Anyone know of any types of stores in the US at least where one might be able to go test the different tablets out?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

When I got mine 9 years ago I got it Best Buy. They had like 3 or 4 of them and I just bought the biggest one. I haven't been there in about 6 months but I don't remember seeing any at that time but you might want to check for yourself.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

The Staples we have in our area has a table set up with some tablets out on display, and pens anchored to the desk. Don't know if that's a canada only store though.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

There are Staples in the U.S., but I don't recall having seen any demo tablets at any of the stores I've been in. But that's a relatively small sample.

If there's an art & design school in your area, maybe you could check to see if they have tablets available to the students and, if so, if you could test drive a couple. My school has both the medium and large Intuos, and the large and small Cintiq in various labs. Plus many of the students have their own tablets of varying size and model. I think the most likely way to get in that way would be to contact an instructor or a student who could bring you in as a guest rather than trying to do it through the administration.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I'm with Mid on this one, I've never seen that in a Staples near me. Cheapskates! That's a good idea on the schools if I can't find a demonstration someplace. I'm sure if I walked in with cash somebody will be willing to let me take a test spin. I'll just have to call around.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    This thread goes on forever. Do we have a quick breakdown for someone looking to buy a tablet?

I have it in mind to pick one up in the next month or so but no good idea what I need. I do not have thousands to spend on one so are there some tablet "rules" I should look for when I go to purchase? If need be I will save up for it.
    I was asked to chime in about the Wacom Cintiq, of which I own three. I have the big 21" Cintiq at home and at work and I use it for drawing maps on (and more). I have drawn some maps from the Myst world, as you can see here: http://sandman.net/myst/ - There is also a picture of the Cintiq and the map of the Selentic Age.

Having used Wacom tablets for many years, and owned many different incarnations of them, I can certainly certify to their superiority over the mouse. But the problem with the tablet has always been hand->eye coordination. You've grown used to the mouse for so many years that it's coordinated 1:1 with your interactions, but a pen on a tablet is not 1:1 since your hand holding a pen has a 1:1 relation to your years using it on a piece of paper and actually looking at the paper.

Enter the Cintiq, where you actually draw directly on the screen. hand/eye-coordination is 1:1 and you have full Intous pen support (1024 levels of pressure, full tilt support and so on). Needless to say, it's awesome! Anyone that can afford it and are interested in drawing on a computer should really get one. And there is a smaller model that's cheaper.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is always nice when there is full tilt support *lol* ... I just hope its a toll-free-number

I'd love the cintiq model, but then again, I'm still practicing with my bamboo
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Since I've had to wait a little longer than I expected I'm bucking for a Centiq myself. We'll see what happens with that.

Page 36 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast