Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interest for History

Post Interest for History

An interest for history is what got me here actually. I'm currently reading a book called American Colonies: The Settling of North America and supporting the author in his story are some ten to twenty page-sized maps. These maps were drawn really well (i.e. simple and not burdened with detail) for their purpose and are a joy to look at while trying to find a mentioned location. This led me to try and search for other books which also employ this artist's talent. And as I got caught up in searching for and looking at all kinds of interesting maps, I stumbled on this community and decided to have a closer look, maybe even try my hand at drawing settings or maps relating to what I'm reading at that moment.

So.. I realize now that I could also have posted this in the introduction section. But what I intended with this thread was to see if there are any other members with a liking for history. And if so, what is your subject of interest?

My area of interest is already overstretched and I still regularly find something new to add to it. Though, in a nutshell, they're usually things that in some way have to do with Europe. One subject of interest, that relates to maps, would be military and civilian architecture. So any of you who take joy in making detailed designs or incorporating history and realism in their maps, is sure to attract my attention.

So, don't be afraid, step forward and tell us of your story!

Post Many historian types here!

We've got many historian types here, some actual history teachers!

Everything, even my fantasy work is heavily, historically influenced. I like all kinds of history, every culture really. However, my recent efforts is developing a distinctly feudal Japanese setting, intended for publication - soon.

Although something I always wanted to do (develop a Japan-based setting.) My February Map Challenge entry, and my previous months efforts creating a Ukiyo-e Japanese wood block print styled map symbols in January, helped boost my recent efforts for publication.

Ukiyo-e Map Objects thread

Gempei War Map thread

As I said, any culture's history is fascinating to me.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

I really like Norman Castles but for a really great pic of a European castle you should check out Hoels map of the fort he did for a challenge a few months back.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3875

I just got out of college with a BS in history. Recently I've found myself stuck in the European wars of the 18th and 19th century. I've got a serious hankering to illustrate a starfort, just looking for a reason to.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albrechtw4 View Post
    I just got out of college with a BS in history. Recently I've found myself stuck in the European wars of the 18th and 19th century. I've got a serious hankering to illustrate a starfort, just looking for a reason to.
    As a non-history-buff who is a sci-fi buff, I'm really confused by this. Is a starfort something out of the European wars of the 18th-19th centuries, or a completely non-sequitur hankering to build a space station?

Its a style of fortifications that evolved after widespread use of gunpowder.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_fort

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

History was never a real big thing for me until I turned 30 (some years ago). Since then it has pretty much been one of the bigger things that I am in to. I'm still not too big on the US Civil War era and the Industrial Age, when compared to everything before that, but they're growing on me. I can honestly say that I watch more of the History Channel than I do anything else (except sports). I have a minor in art history from college but that's pretty useless as I prefer Art Deco, Art Nouveau, & Renaissance art over everything else (Alphonse Mucha is god).

If I had to go back in time to any age to live I'd probably prefer the Colonial Age...so that I could make maps, or maybe the Victorian Age so that I could apprentice under Louis Comfort Tiffany and make some cool stained glass, or the Renaissance and be a painter. Any other age and I would probably be a peasant and that doesn't sound like much fun If I could guarantee that I could be a Roman Senator then that wouldn't be too bad and I've always had a fascination with the Templars (way before Dan Brown), the Teutons (my mother's side) and the Normans (my fathers side).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    As a non-history-buff who is a sci-fi buff, I'm really confused by this. Is a starfort something out of the European wars of the 18th-19th centuries, or a completely non-sequitur hankering to build a space station?
    Double welcome, fellow sci-fi buff. We're in the minority here but our numbers are growing.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

I have a strong interest in history, though I haven't done much to feed it in a while. I very much enjoy reading about lost civilizations, and I have recently developed an interest in Islam during the Middle Ages. For some reason, none of my European history classes really said anything about the Muslims other than that they were a large threat, in spite of Cordoba under Umayyid rule being the largest city in Europe for a time.

I also like the Warring States period of China, but more for the philosophy than the politics.

And for Ascension: I made a poster in my Typography class last quarter that you might enjoy. I admit to shamelessly ripping off Mucha for the design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	090201NouveauPoster.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	450.6 KB 
ID:	13245  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

As far as history goes, I will read and enjoy almost everything you put in front of me. I usually go in spurts on certain topics however and currently I am reading up on Hannibal.

As far as maps; anyone who has seen my maps can tell you that I like the parchment maps. Usually from the dark ages on up to 19th century.
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast