Thread: May Entry: Rooftop Chase to the Airship

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post May Entry: Rooftop Chase to the Airship

So, GP guilts me into pitching in on another contest I have no time for. I can't let him walk away with prizes from both the ICE challenge and the CG challenge so here we go - a GP killer

Just at the concept stage right now. A chase over the rooftops from a cathedral under construction to a wizards lab with an experimental airship that the subject is going to use to escape.

On the way I've brainstormed some obstacles:
    1. bell tower to start
    2. high workplace with scaffolding and planks over large drops. There are safer and more dangerous routes.
    3. A crane that can be used to swing across to the next building.
    4. Multilevel roofs with slippery tiles and dangerous sky lights
    5. Washing lines as zip wires
    6. Archers
    7. Ladders and planks - do you go back to get the planks or do you just jump the gap.
    8. Fantasy penthouse suite - pool, garden, guard dragon.
    9. Gargoyles
    10. Wizards tower that intermittently gets struck by lightning.
    11. Final battle on the platform by the airship.

I've no idea when on earth I'll get this done, but I'll certainly try to get this out for the deadline. It's going to be a lot less detailed than my normal maps, but we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, without any furter ado.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoofTopChaseConcept.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	13271

Post But I'm immortal!

Yay! Torstan is in the May Challenge!!!

A GP killer, huh? Just so you know, I've got a contingency ressurrection spell enchanting me at all times - I just can't die, though you can certainly try!

I'm glad to see you in this, I really am. Looks like you've got a good idea here, and when you follow through your stuff always shines.

Know this, I'm too busy myself, but that didn't stop either!

Good sport!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I loved that game! I'm going to rough out all the tiles first then go through and get them up to scratch. First as line art and then as colour. That gives me the best chance of having something solid as an entry come the end of the month.

Here's a sketch of the cathedral at the start with three different possible routes the players can take.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CathedralChaseTile1.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	13274

@GP Your workflow is just faster than mine I'm afraid. That's something I need to improve on, and this challenge will be an interesting test ground for that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good stuff T, you'll do fine, you always do.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hand draw maps for the win!

Oh wait, that's just his sketches, CRAP!
    Looks like I'll have to wait for the voting
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I know it's too late to do this, but drawing everything in a 1 point perspective from above would really rock, you would get a sense of the height while being able to keep the rooftops flat. Everything would lean away from the center a bit, it would be a lot of work.

Good luck, I like the sketches.

Well these are the sketches, so there's no reason why the finished version can't have a slight one point perspective added to each tile. I'm certainly considering it. I'm not going to have time to texture or overly detail these so little tricks to make them look really cool are very high up my list of priorities.