Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vaniya

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post

I would like to point out, however, that the "s" in the lettering of the Ea.s.tern Sea is still in the original ambiguous form. I didn't see any other instances of this, which argues that it was unintentional. Perhaps you are steering wide of perfection to avoid Allah's wrath...
    Ha! How could I have missed that one?

Ah well, it will have to stay like that for now but thanks for pointing that out. When I'm ready to revisit it at a later time that will be the first thing to change I guess.

And good luck with the map making. If you look at the WIP for this map you can see that the earlier attempts at this were very basic and you can see how it evolved as I progressed - it's easy and I'm sure you can do better.

As for the colour-blindness, how does that work? Does it mean that you cannot see certain colours or that you cannot see shades of colour or...?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Apprentice rafaelrzacharias's Avatar

Ramah, what bruches you used for the forests? I loooooved them, but cant find it
    anyone, send me the link.. thx! ^^

BTW Ramah, I loved ur Vaniya map, specially the labbeling font and names, have you come up with them all? or u got inspired somehow?

Blog Entries

I created the brushes for the map but have since reinstalled the system so unfortunately those particular brushes no longer exist.

The ones from my Aronbor map were posted in the mapping elements forum. They aren't exactly the same but similar.

As for the labelling on the map, I think I did it the same way most people do. Sit around, spend far too long trying to think of cool sounding names, realise you've been sitting there for hours and then type in the first names you can think of that don't sound too sucky.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

This map is really yummy!

Edit: I tried to give you some rep. Not sure if it worked though.
    Last edited by Rongar; 01-11-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    P.s. - I'm not sure what use anyone could get out of this other than me, but if you feel the need then knock yourself out. Just consider it under the usual CC copyright thingymajig that people bang on about around here.
    Well, I have a use for it. It would a perfect starting point for a D&D campaign I am looking to run. Dungeon Mastering I do well, map making I do not. As such though, I would like to be able to tweak things, add notes, etc. Would it be possible to get the original photoshop file? Working with layers would be easier than editing with the jpeg, but I can do that if need be. Thanks.

This is my all time favorite map.

Beautiful.

Blog Entries

Ramah,

I never did answer your question about color-blindness. For a cartographer, it's rather insidious, because I still see colors in all of their glory and richness, just not the same way that people whose eyesight is "normal" perceive them. So while I may find a particular shade of brown quite lovely, I may think it is a lovely shade of green. I have similar issues with purple and blue, although not as badly. It may sound harmless, but it can lead to color choices that might ruin a piece. Two great things about doing my work here at the Cartographer's Guild is that a) people see my mistakes and point them out and b) I'm using Photoshop, so changing a color usually isn't difficult.

I know what color most things are supposed to be, so it isn't difficult (usually) for me to chose from the right color family. Not everything is that simple though, so I appreciate the help everyone offers.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

This is truly wonderful. Everything from the differences in tree shape and size, to the faded writing in the water. I love this map, the only thing I could thing to make it better, would be to blend the black text with the land. Obviously not as much as you did the water, but even 10-15% less opacity would look nice. Again, Great job!

Ramah,

Great map. I specially like the faux-page folds. They give the map that extra something to make it truly great.
    I tried looking for the tutorials you mentioned, but they seem to have been taken down. You wouldn't happen to have them on your machine? I tried the Wayback Machine, but it didn't save the pictures.

Thanks, and great luck with that novel.

Blog Entries

Hmm, sorry I don't have them on my machine. They went down once before for a while and someone was asking about them before Jezelf returned to the board and sorted it out. Maybe he changed the address of them.

I'd start by doing a search for threads started by Jezelf in the tutorial forum here. If you can't find it then you might like to up your post count a bit so you can PM him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast