Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Professional Artist

Post Introduction

Hi gang,
    I'm a new member here and I thought I'd share with you some of the maps I've made for my conworld. You can find them here: http://sorol.wikispaces.com.

Sorol is an Earth-like planet with a technology level roughly equivalent to Earth in the 18th century. I've made it my goal to map the whole planet at a scale of about 1" to 80 miles or so.

I appreciate any comments you guys might have, and I look forward to participating in the community here.

Thanks,
    -Rob

Welcome to the boards HandsomeRob, and I've lost count of how many Robs we have here now.

That is a very, shall I say monumentally, impressive goal you have set for yourself there. I clicked through to one of the regional maps as was impressed that you had named all the bays.

I look forward to see more of your work and hope that we have something to offer you here that will keep you coming back.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Hi Rob,

This is the first time I've seen a modern cartography style used for fantasy (or in your case early victorian) mapping. The level of detail for naming features is phenomenal. I'd be interested to how you went about creating the regional relief maps.

Great work and all the best

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
    Welcome to the boards HandsomeRob, and I've lost count of how many Robs we have here now.
    haha! Many Rob's yes, but only one "-Rob A>"

-Rob A>

(which was acutally a historical tymp of mine. I used to sign off with -Rob A. but got laxy on taking my finger of the shift key and got -Rob A> more often than no...so now, -Rob A> it is...)

Professional Artist keithcurtis's Avatar

Beautiful style! Could you tell us a little something about the software you used?

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by keithcurtis
    Could you tell us a little something about the software you used?
    Sure! My world is based in Fractal Terrains, so coastlines and relief and projections are generated from that, and then I apply linework, labels and symbols in Adobe Illustrator. Landcover is also done in illustrator, and then touched up in Photoshop.

This is my favorite so far:
    (Attached) http://sorol.wikispaces.com/space/sh...e/NWAzhnar.jpg

Thanks a lot, everyone, I'm sure that I'll learn a lot and see some great work while I'm here.
    -Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nwazhnar_570.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	368  

How much would we have to push, prod, & compliment to convince you to post a step-by-step tutorial on at least a tiny plot of land, Rob? I can see it being very useful for many cartographers (present company included!) to follow along as you do that voodoo that you do so well. Please?
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I don't know what better compliment to give that map than to say it looks like it came right out of a real world atlas. Bravo! I, too, would love to know how you get that great land texture.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

When you are painting in the terrain types do you use what Fractal Terrains gave you, or do you make it up as you go?
    When you export from Fractal Terrains what settings are you using?
    Do you have a color chart that you use for the terrain types? Would you be willing to share?

That's all I've got for now.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Professional Artist

When you are painting in the terrain types do you use what Fractal Terrains gave you, or do you make it up as you go?
    Oh, I definitely make it up as I go. I pretty much only use the relief shading and coastlines from FT, I don't even use the elevations it gives.
    When you export from Fractal Terrains what settings are you using?
    See my tutorial below...
    Do you have a color chart that you use for the terrain types? Would you be willing to share?
    Sure, here it is:
    Rock 30K
    Settled/Farmed land 30C/50Y
    Grassland 10C/60Y
    Tundra 20C/10Y
    Scrubland 20C/10M/30Y
    Sand 10M/30Y
    Volcanics 30M/20Y/30K
    Deciduous forest 60C/60Y
    Mixed forest 70C/10M/70Y
    Coniferous forest 80C/30M/80Y
    Rainforest 90C/90Y
    Wetlands 40C/20Y
    Water 30C
    I use a different color for rock in deserts (when it's typically red sandstone), but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

I've done a tutorial on my process before for a different board, and you can find it here.

Thanks a bunch, guys.
    -Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast