Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May Entry: A Stroll Through the Sewers

I like the first one better, but there is still something "inorganic" about it. I can't quite place my finger on what it is.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I like the first one better, but there is still something "inorganic" about it. I can't quite place my finger on what it is.
    And here I preferred the one on the right...

BTW: not to hijack the thread or anything, but what happened to HAL RPMiller? His light is out

My online time is currently so reduced that I am rarely "online." Thus the light is out until I return to normal operation.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the olive color over the fir tree color. I think the inorganic feeling is coming from the texture, it looks sort of like paint but is also repetitive...plus there is no junk along the edges like pipes or broken bits of wood or slime. The thing that I'd do is simply throw a layer of black or brown on the olive one and turn down the opacity so that it looks like dark olive or a layer of olive & brown clouds to put some slime into it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I would say some highlights in the sewage. Sure its dark and underground, but any light coming from grates or holes would reflect off a wet surface. I think your sewage colors look good, they just don't look wet. My opinion.

Professional Artist

Praise Good start

SG, Good work. The Sewer Map Pack I did for Paizo was a little similar and had its challenges, too. Getting the water to have the right murkiness to it was a toughie, but I found the right textures and effects for the finals.

I like the greenish water better than the blue. Water isn't blue so it's tough to get away from that being that the light reflected in a place like a sewer would give that effect. I would like to see some cast shadows from the edge of the water to give some depth from the players on the edge. This would also make the water not appear to meet the edge of the stone. I do like the pattern you have for the sidewalk. Patterns like that are tough to read, but this is a good one. The wall and the sidewalk appear to have a similar texture and tone. Applying some curves to the wall or a darker layer could help that. A good PS trick is to have a layer on top set to opacity and use a random looking brush set to 10% with a white color and gradually build up some highlights. This will help make the path look a little worn and well treaded. Some cracks here and there to effect if you want and this is a winner. I made a cople small adjustments and here's what I came up with. I'm happy to share the PSD if you like, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SG_SewerEdit.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	13476  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated.
    @cmnmd - Yes, please post the .PSD

UPDATE: had a bit of free time this morning, here's another update. I took into account many of the ideas/suggestions I've received and think this is much better than either of the previous versions...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90Degree Turn-v3.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	13493  
    Last edited by Steel General; 05-21-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Agreed, that is lookin good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

*DING* *DING* *DING* I think we have a winna! Yes, that has the organic feel and depth that I was very poorly trying to explain. That is looking much much better!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

OK, now all I need to do is go and make all of the changes to the other tiles. Luckily I really only have to change 2 layers on each one.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast