Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kobold Quarterly Map of Fantasy: Bandits' Lair

Guild Apprentice

Wow. This is truly amazing! I love a good iso map, and this is a great one. I have to admit, my favorite part is that you can follow the water from where it enters to cavern to where it exits, and how the waterfall's used to help illustrate the height difference between the two levels.
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.

Sweet work man. What artistic talent can do with a tablet...
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Cool! I wish Paizo would hire you, their maps could really use your kinda talent.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

If you tell them, I won't stop you

@Loogie: Thanks! It really was the tablet that made all the difference with my map drawing.

@Novarri: Thanks - that's actually inspired by an old AD&D book. It was one of the blue books and it detailed dungeons? Anyway there was an isometric cave complex in it with a waterfall going through the caves and you could really se how it had hollowed out the cave system over time. The waterfall did a great job of connecting the different levels. I like it here because it gives the players two different ways to attack the bandit's lair.

@Ravells: Thanks. I had a lot of fun nailing down this style and you'll certainly be seeing more of these in the future. As for how I got into this, I guess there were a couple of big things that made it possible. First: try living on a small academic salary in NYC. Fail. Second: turn to hobbies to make extra cash. Necessity really is the mother of invention. It might be worth a tutorial on getting your work seen and picking up commissions? I certainly don't claim to be any sort of expert on this, but I am now picking up a steady and predictable income from this.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's because your stuff rocks, sure some of the more ambitious people can get out there and sell sell sell but if you don't have the portfolio to back it up then it's all for naught. Continued good luck to you my friend.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is a beautiful map. The ISO perspective is fantastic and like another commentor already mentioned, the fact that you can trace the water through the caverns is really great. I plan on using this in an upcoming adventure--needed a "lair" and this will be perfect!

Cheers.

haha, that map was in my inspiration-folder already for several months... and made me wanne do ISO's too.... didn't know it was yours awesome map!

Beautiful maps!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thought I had commented here but I guess not. These are stunningly beautiful!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nice to see this one turn up again. Thanks all for the compliments. It was a lot of fun to do. I'm very pleasantly surprised to find my map in Djekspeak's inspiration folder!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast