Thread: Working With Large Scale Map

Question Working With Large Scale Map

I'm currently getting ready to color a world map for my video game company. It will also be used in the table top realm as well. There are a few things the map needs to be used for. It needs to be able to be printed on a large scale down the line, say 2ft x 3ft along with a few other things. I have a few questions on doing this.

Here are a few details on the map.
    1. Full Color.
    2. Needs to be use in the following sizes. 8x11, 1080p for the game and printed at 2ft by 3ft

1. What should the resolution be. I'm thinking 600dpi
    2. What size should the image/canvas be? Should I do roughly 50% the original size?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I was told that i should work at about 600 dpi and and about 50% of the final size. Sound about right? 600dpi seems kinda high to me. I was thinking 300 to 450.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You should probably PM GamerPrinter here on the forums (you'll need to have at least 5 posts before you can do that) - he has his own printng company, and I'm fairly certain he can answer any/all of your questions.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Hi, you might glean some extra info here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2596

I think about 300dpi for photo/images is fine but maybe 600dpi for line text and font heavy black and white only images.

That would be a 10800 pixel image wide which is large but not massive and most apps esp PS should handle that fine. You will need a PC with a few gigs of ram to handle that esp if you use a few layers. If you think you need more than a few layers then I would save each layer as an individual image and composite it at the end. Thats just a personal point of advice there which might not be a common way of doing it.

The image canvas size should be the size in pixels or the real size of the map. Note the bit in the tut about what DPI is and how theres a few versions of usage for the word resolution. At end of day the pixel size is the important bit.