Thread: CC3 - Imported Drawing (.bmp) Questions

Post CC3 - Imported Drawing (.bmp) Questions

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I've gone through the manual a few times now and there is not much in there as far as inserting images and how to work with them.

I clicked the Draw>Insert File> Unchecked the 'Embed in Drawing' option and then placed the rough draft of the map I am going to create. The .bmp of the map contains the mountain range/forest area, river flow, and city/town placement.

I trace over the land and place. But I am confused as how to hide the land area I just put down to see the .bmp image behind so I can properly place the mountain/forests, rivers and populations areas. I've tried hiding different sheet/layers in combination and the .bmp drawing disappears.

Do I create a separate sheet/layer specifically for the un-embedded inserted image so that I can always see it? If so, how?

Your help is appreciated! Thank you!

~Valtharius the Mad
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Argontath Map Finished Thread

My Flash Website! - Welcome to Argontath

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Disclaimer: I use CC2, not CC3, but this should still be accurate, I hope.

It sounds to me as if you have your bmp on the same layer as the stuff you traced. In order to show that and hide the new, or vice versa, it does need to be on a separate layer, but you don't necessarily need to create one (although I usually do).

To do so, use the Change Layer command (CHANGEL), select the bmp, right-click and choose Do It. The prompt will ask for a layer name; if you right-click it will bring up a dialog. Select (or add and then select) a layer the pic can have all to itself, and click ok.

Now your pic and your drawings should be on separate layers so that you can hide and show them (freezing the pic is usually very helpful as well) to your heart's content.

Gidde! Thank you very much for that explanation. It works great. I haven't worked with importing BMP images into CC3 and I am still learning. Layers and sheets... getting use to those as well. Now to apply this fix to 20+ maps. lol Again, thank you VERY much for your help!

~Valtharius the Mad

Hmmmmm....looks like someone hasn't viewed my tutorials

TRACING A PEN-N-PAPER MAP:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5289

and

INSERTING A PEN-N-PAPER MAP: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1431
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

***BONK*** That was something that was nagging me in the back of my mind. I knew I saw something about pen and paper maps and inserting them and I was going through the CC3 manual looking for it!!! LOL I couldn't figure out for the life of me 'what page is it on?' in the darned thing.

Thank you Neonknight for the change of direction! *frowns at the manual and puts it to the side* Sheesh... Ol'dopey me!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Hmmmmm....looks like someone hasn't viewed my tutorials

TRACING A PEN-N-PAPER MAP:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5289

and

INSERTING A PEN-N-PAPER MAP: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1431

This Cartography site has by far the friendliest community of any website I have ever belonged to. Thank you again for all your help guys! (I downloaded BOTH of them. )

~Valtharius the Mad
    Last edited by Valtharius; 05-15-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valtharius View Post
    This Cartography site has by far the friendliest community of any website I have ever belonged to.
    I agree. I've never seen a forum filled with this much civility and true willingness to help each other.