Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UBORA A New World

Wip UBORA A New World

OK I have had this in my head for years but only now was abel to get to it as I have gotten a copy of CS2.
    The world is called UBORA. The centeral nation I am creating is a kindof a cross between Excalibur and the Holy Roman Empire c.900ACE to 1200ACE. The empire is rulled by the church of Aluval. A Lawfull Good God. They have a Pontif and an Emperor. This is not a secular government. All government positions are assigned to clerics depending on their rank and powers.

I am useing FTPro to creat the world outline. Just the coast and no land. I want to build it up myself. I have Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2. I am using Pasi's fab tutorial on mountain building because it allows finer controll using my Wacom Bamboo tablet.

This is a learning runthrough and not a finished map. I just would like opinions on the forest fill (does it look good at this large scale?) and some on the mountains. The scale is very big. The land is almost 700 miles across here. Any and all comments and ideas welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forest test.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	13339  

Need zoomed in version

Anyway, the mountains and trees look nice. Because it's a top down, realistic representation (almost a sattelite image) I am not sure if the forests scale very well though... I am getting the idea that I am seeing individual trees, which would make the area pictured smaller than you want to convey, I think.

The map does look cool, so have some rep.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Need zoomed in version

Anyway, the mountains and trees look nice. Because it's a top down, realistic representation (almost a sattelite image) I am not sure if the forests scale very well though... I am getting the idea that I am seeing individual trees, which would make the area pictured smaller than you want to convey, I think.

The map does look cool, so have some rep.
    FIRST REP!! DANCE!!
    Yes that was what I was thinking. I need to find a fill that looks like a forest but has the right texture. That goes for grass and light woods to. I'm not shur if a solid shade would be appropriate. I think it would look a little blank.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Try just using a base color of green then put a few more layers on top; each layer is filled with different amounts of noise, then give each of those layers a slightly different color (like amber, brown, light green, dark green, etc). Set the color overlay to match the color (like screen for light colors and multiply for darks) and then set each noise layer to something like multiply so that only the dark pixels show. Lastly, you could use a few layers of clouds to help break up the uniformity.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Try just using a base color of green then put a few more layers on top; each layer is filled with different amounts of noise, then give each of those layers a slightly different color (like amber, brown, light green, dark green, etc). Set the color overlay to match the color (like screen for light colors and multiply for darks) and then set each noise layer to something like multiply so that only the dark pixels show. Lastly, you could use a few layers of clouds to help break up the uniformity.
    Good idea. Will give that a try!

Using Ascension's advice I messes around with the fill and came up with this. The next map will be bigger so you can see it better.

Name:	forest test 004.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	13344  

Guild Apprentice

Hm. I like that color-wise, but I like how on your first map, it was obvious what was forest and what wasn't - on this one, it's not so visible. Still, looking forward to that zoomed in map! Also, interesting world-concept. I assume it's for D&D (since you refer to clerics as having powers)?
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarri View Post
    Hm. I like that color-wise, but I like how on your first map, it was obvious what was forest and what wasn't - on this one, it's not so visible. Still, looking forward to that zoomed in map! Also, interesting world-concept. I assume it's for D&D (since you refer to clerics as having powers)?
    Yep D&D 3.5 till Pathfinder comes out.

Wip

Ok after some more experimenting I now have a mountain idea. A large chain with reminents trailing on the west coast of the peninsula that will be the home of the Aluval Empire and the City Of The Holy See. Let me know especialy about the trailing reminents. I'm of two minds on those.

Name:	Mountain Test.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	13391  

I love this new mountain style! It looks great!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast