Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Dungeon

Wip Large Dungeon

I decided to give making a nice big map a try. I'm not sure what I'm gonna spice the map up with, I'm thinking some cracks and holes in the floor here an there, a few skeletons and piles o' bones, and the roundish room in the top right will probably have a nice beveled magic circle dealie filled with blood.

What do you guys think might be some interesting stuff to include? Coffins/Sarcophagi? Slime-filled pools?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BigDungeon1.jpeg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	13348  
    Last edited by Alecthar; 05-16-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Straight-up man-made dungeons are pretty boring until you start decorating...the list of things to decorate with are innumerable. Just to spice up the floor you could use some rugs, stairs, platforms, holes, pits traps, cracks, rubble, arcane circles, stains, and some light colored shading in the middle to denote "worn" areas where the people walk.

Once you start thinking vertically you start adding columns, bookcases, tables, desks, chairs, stands, musical apparatus, torches, beds, junk piles, coffins, chests, and all of the dollhouse amenities that you can think of...just leave enough room for people to move around in.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think to narrow things down a bit, you may want to think about a "theme" for the dungeon (if there is one). That may give you (and helps us give you) ideas on what to put in it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Okay, got some of this put together. The roundish room in the top right is the ritual room, with magic circles laid into the floor, then filled with the blood of human sacrfices to enhance their power.

Directly to the south is a hallway that still remains almost untouched from the dungeon's original use as a crypt. When the current denizens arrived and attempted to remove the sarcophagi and their moldering corpses, those in this hallway refused to be move. Vehemently. Perhaps the statue's eerie presence has something to do with it? The ritualists prefer not to bother with such questions, and have barricaded the entrances to the hallway. (Translation: Zombies here!)

The room to the south of the hallway has been changed into a makeshift barracks for the henchmen in service of the ritualists.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BigDungeon1.jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	13410  

nice i really like the statue Alectar!

Nice start. This map would benefit from a bit of shadow on the walls (or a bevel, but I prefer a shadow) to give it a bit of depth away from the thick outer walls.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Nice start. This map would benefit from a bit of shadow on the walls (or a bevel, but I prefer a shadow) to give it a bit of depth away from the thick outer walls.
    What's the most efficient way to do that in Gimp? I'm pretty unsure exactly how to wield the "Drop Shadow" filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alecthar View Post
    What's the most efficient way to do that in Gimp? I'm pretty unsure exactly how to wield the "Drop Shadow" filter.
    Make a selection that has just the walls outline shape on it. I usually turn off all the other layers except the one with the walls shape. Take this selection and invert it (so that the selected parts are the "walls" interior. Now you wan to grow(or shrink) the selection (see the selection menu in GIMP) so that the selection is slightly bigger than the original(if you turn the grey walls back on, the selection should be out in the rooms by a few (2-5) px instead of inside any of the walls. Fill with black. Move the layer to below the walls and above the floor texture. Turn off the selection and use G. Blur to suit. Probably 5 px, perhaps 10. This depends on how much bigger the selection was that you filled with black.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

If you would not mind, could you post up your xcf file?
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Make a selection that has just the walls outline shape on it. I usually turn off all the other layers except the one with the walls shape. Take this selection and invert it (so that the selected parts are the "walls" interior. Now you wan to grow(or shrink) the selection (see the selection menu in GIMP) so that the selection is slightly bigger than the original(if you turn the grey walls back on, the selection should be out in the rooms by a few (2-5) px instead of inside any of the walls. Fill with black. Move the layer to below the walls and above the floor texture. Turn off the selection and use G. Blur to suit. Probably 5 px, perhaps 10. This depends on how much bigger the selection was that you filled with black.
    If there were a statistic on "Filter Used Most," kept in GIMP, mine would easily be Gaussian Blur.

Despite that, your method never occurred to me. God I feel dumb sometimes.

I'm trying to get a .zip with my .xcf uploaded, but it appears my internet connection is being a punk and won't let me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast