Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Create a random town

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Tutorial Create a random town

Redrobes actually inspired me with his town patterns project and while discussing things in his thread I had an idea so I followed up on it. It's all self-contained (image and instructions) and while it's not perfect, it is a jumping off point for experimenting on ways to alleviate the tedium of drawing out towns in raster programs. I will almost certainly be changing and adapting this over time, but since this is my first go at it, I thought I'd put it up for others to digest and dissect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	random town.jpg 
Views:	1116 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	9826  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-01-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think you're definitely on to something here...a few tweaks here and there... have to give this a whirl sometime.

I wonder how hard it would be to turn the basic steps into an action?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quite easy, I just haven't done it yet
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

How hard woulkd it be to seperate the text into a post body, .doc, or something else, even putting a solid color cartouch behind it would really help my old tired eyes.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

No prob, will do after lunch.

Ok I uploaded a doc file with pics to the first post of the thread.

Cool way of doing this
    ---
    Gorkamorka

I think I've read all your tutorials Asc, this is the most imaginative and interesting one IMHO. Good job.

Sigurd

Thanks, Sig, but I owe a large amount of credit to Redrobes for getting my brain working with his city patterns (thanks Red).

Blog Entries

Cool job Ascension - I will have a similar hack at it in a while. Cities are a lot of work right now and I for one welcome some ways to automate some parts of it. We did scripts for tiles a while back and they work well. Robs dungeon script is certainly well developed now and I reckon that chugs out dungeons to a standard thats quite hard to match by hand. Terrain has almost always been scripted usually off of some random starting point too so if we can get cities into that same league then were really cookin.

I have always wanted a big app which makes great random terrain then fills it with virtual people which build houses get jobs, marry have kids which go on to get other jobs and so on building up the virtual world with a full list of buildings and people who live in them. A sort of genetic algo RPG world builder. Thats a bit of a way off at this point tho The bits of scripts and tools are like that metallic bits of The Terminator when hes all molten, coming together bit by bit. Maybe one day we will say "ah we can chug out terrain no problem and we can chug out cities no problem and dungeons too, we have character stat builder and all the monster stats and the scripts which run the rules to know who would likely win in battles so lets glue all of those parts together". Pipe dream I reckon but no harm in traveling on that road for a while huh ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast