Thread: Greetings

Guild Applicant

Post Greetings

Hey folks, been lurking here for a couple weeks and finally decided to post something. I have been working on a book (surprise, surprise) and got stuck in my writing, so I decided to try my hand at making a map to see if that would help me past the block. I came across these forums and have been completely blown away by the beautiful maps here which have inspired me to try my hand at cartography. I have several experiments and works in progress at the moment, but I just finished a city map with Gimp, thanks in large part to Pyrandon's awesome tutorial. Hopefully soon I'll have finished the regional and world maps I am also working on at the moment.

Without further ado, I would like to share the city map I just completed. I'm still learning Gimp for the most part and it still needs a bit of work. Adding text in general has been giving me problems for some reason, I can't seem to get it to properly size itself.

Anyway, my thanks to the community here for providing such a wonderful resource for all of us aspiring cartographers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city2.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	371.6 KB 
ID:	13376  

that is a very nice map. But what is the scale? How far is it from A to B?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome Al-Iksandar! You certainly aren't the only one mapping for a book

Nice map, it looks like a well fortified city. The layout is also very pleasing to the eye. What are the brown patches to the north, though? Fields? They look a bit out of place... like I am playing a game and my videocard suddenly decides to display some weird artifacts
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Welcome to the guild. I'm with G in that the fields need a tweak, maybe go lighter and blurrier and bigger but the rest looks good to me. Nice job with a tricky tut.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

I agree, nice job.

I was never quite able to get really good results with Pyrandon's tutorial. Though I do 'Frankenstein' some of the pieces with other stuff.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Thanks very much for the warm welcome and for the comments. I agree that the fields do seem a bit stuck on and could use some tweaking. The tutorial was a bit tricky, especially trying to get the same effects in gimp, but I was able to follow along pretty well up until the point of adding layer effects, I had to pretty much go my own way from there and just play around with different stuff until I got a look that I liked. I think it turned out pretty well for a first attempt.

As for the scale, I'm not quite sure of the exact scale. I know I want it to be a rather large city, on the order of 500,000+ people, as it is supposed to be the capital of a large empire on the decline.

Thanks again for the great community that you all have established here. I am looking forward to becoming an active participant and contributor

What I like about the map is the road definition in the city. It would be nice to see the uniform buildings broken up into a bit more variety and a few more open spaces. I really do love the bridge and the little pathways in the castle. The city walls have a very natural feel to them too. the woods are bit blobby though...I'd get rid of those. Welcome!