Thread: Feedback for Mountains that will fit this style...

Wip Feedback for Mountains that will fit this style...

Hi there. new member - posted my introduction earlier tonight. Now i am hoping a little feedback and/or suggestions might help me with the roadblock I am having about how to approach better mountains, short of just brushing them all in very tediously by hand.

I am using Photoshop CS3, but used Illustrator CS3 for the initial landmass construction and will be using it later once the mountains are complete for laying out my river system before bring those pathes back into Photoshop to render them properly in the similar style I have been using.

Take a look at the images I have attached. Im trying to find a good way of constructing mountainous ranges, plateaus and two significant craters on the maps and short of painting them in by hand I'm at a loss for an easy method to shorten that work-load. Right now i just think ranges are just being muddled, single cones are easy to do from this particular angle but i want something that looks not exactly from a straight down viewpoint but not exactly isometric or icon like either.

Hopefully someone will be able to offer a good suggestion.

Image 1 is an overall view of the map currently, the other 3 images are to given an idea of the painterly style I am using. Essentiall the map looks like it was brush painted in oils on panel board.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankallam_progress001c.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	786.2 KB 
ID:	13383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankallam_cu01.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	13384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankallam_cu02.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	13385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ankallam_cu03.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	13386  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I really like that style!

I'm just learning, myself, so unfortunately I don't have many ideas for oil-painted mountains. I just had to pipe in and let you know how cool what you have so far looks.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think the mountains in the fourth image are quite good.

If it were me, I'd use those - just reduce the amount of white.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I gotta aggree with SG about the mountains in the 4th attachment. They are quite good.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like the style - it looks good. I'm not sure it quite looks like oil on board. The texture looks like it's applied on top of the colour rather than coming through from beneath. Also, there are very different brush sizes - you have some large circular brushes within the landmasses that sugest quite a loose build up of colour, while you also have a perfectly regular outline that shouts out that it was computer generated with a stroke around the landmass. If you want it to look hand painted I'd suggest having a background layer with the paper texture and then painting on a new layer with some more paintbrush style brushes. The hard round brushes break the painterly look a little. I certainly think it is worth pursuing as you certainly have a lovely style developing here.

I like the mountains. The 4th panel does look cool, though I think they could probably do with some hard shadows similar to the style you've used in the arctic regions. As for doing them quickly and adding a side on aspect to the style, I'm afraid I can't help much there. I think good mountains are the bane of everyone's life here. I'd certainly suggest going through some of the threads in the tutorials section, especially this one:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405

That might give you some ideas.

I think this is a great map and I look forward to seeing how it develops. Welcome to the Guild!
    Last edited by torstan; 05-17-2009 at 04:17 PM.

I think deeper shadows would really make the mountains you have pop. But I don't know an easy way to go about doing it.