Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Designer 3

Post Dungeon Designer 3

I know what the pros are. What are the cons?

I want to make maps mostly for online use which means I dont' really want to print maps ever, so that means I want a whole image. Can I set a certain resolution for a map and export it as a jpeg or png that is the whole image?

Post Yes

Not a DD3 user, but as it is a part of Campaign Cartographer, yes, of course you can set the resolution and export as JPG/PNG. You can do a part, the whole thing, create high enough res for print, or a low res version that will never see print - whichever you need.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I am a Campaign Cartographer 3 user and I have the Dungeon Designer 3 and City Designer 3 addons. I can't really see any cons, only that you need Campaign Cartographer 3 to run Dungeon Designer 3. It's great software I think and I am very happy with my purchase.

If you want to see what DD3 can do, you should watch the video tutorials that are available on the Profantasy website.

And as Gamerprinter already said, you can export maps (or parts of the map) picking file types like PNG, JPG and set the resolution.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I'm another CC3/DD3 user who is quite happy with the program, the artwork and the experience in general. The only "con" I can think of (related more to CC3 in general rather than DD3 in particular) is that PNG files created directly from CC3 can't be viewed by everyone on the Web depending on what Internet browser they are using. The work around is to open the PNG exported from CC3 in a program like Fireworks or preferably GIMP (because it is free) and save as a PNG in that program to get a good PNG that everyone can see. BMP files export nicely from CC3 directly and can also be converted to JPG, GIF or PNG files in a program like GIMP if you need them.

In CC3, to export your map as an image, you use File -> Save As and select, if you want a PNG for example, either PNG Bitmap file (if you want the whole map) or Rectangular Section PNG (if you want to select a portion of the map). You have the same two options for BMP and JPG as well. More info at CC3 online help.

You can set bitmap export options in CC3 by going to Tools -> Options -> BMP,JPG,PNG button in the Options dialog box - more about this at CC3 online help.
    Last edited by jaerdaph; 05-18-2009 at 08:55 AM.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Like CC3 in general, DD3 suffers from aliasing problems. This is mostly noticeable in the text, so if you want nice and smooth edges to your labels, you should put them on with another program.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Like CC3 in general, DD3 suffers from aliasing problems. This is mostly noticeable in the text, so if you want nice and smooth edges to your labels, you should put them on with another program.
    Another good point - the lack of anti-aliasing in CC3. Again, you can do text labels as CC3 post-work in another program like Fireworks or GIMP as a work around.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Thanks all!

So, are you buying?
    (no I don't have stock in Profantasy)
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I too am a CC3/DD3 user. All the maps I did for THUNDERSPIRE LABYRINTH and PYRAMID OF SHADOWS and now KING OF THE TROLLHAUNT WARRENS were all don in DD3, with no other software (bitfills were added to DD3, but no photoshoping etc except to scale the final map to their proper inch scale for printing).
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Professional Artist

Post New here, welcoming comments

Hey all. I'm new to this forum, but am a longtime artist in the RPG and gaming community. I'm glad to be a part of this community of gamers and artists who bring the gametable to life with art. I illustrate the maps for Paizo Publishing's GameMastery Line and WotC's Star Wars RPG Dawn of Defiance online maps. These are a blast to create. I am working on some possible product ideas to help the VTT and map making community. I would like some feedback to what would be ideal for a beginning pack<terrain, tiles, objects, effects>. I know that PSDs and PNG files are best. I'm also plan to write tutorials to be included in this proposed product. Please start discussions here or email me. Thanks.
    -Corey Macourek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast