Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May/June Lite Entry: Danavea

Wip May/June Lite Entry: Danavea

I've been looking for an excuse to try out Ascension's excellent Atlas Style tutorial. I decided, though, that I want this to be a collection of tropical islands, so I tossed the polar caps and the deserts. We'll see how that goes...

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Danavea01.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	13418  
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Nifty start...but the depth looks to be reversed to me. The mountains look inverted, and the water looks to be higher than the islands...could just be the cold/flu I've got and my not falling asleep til 6am though...

the mountains look to have height to me... maybe some rocky textures might help them stand out from the background a bit more?

Looks good though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks luscious. I like the longer bevel that you've put on the mountains, really adds something so I'll have to try it. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

your map looks really great so far

Yeah, the map certainly is looking good so far! The mountains look great I think.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Holy moley! I think Guy might be blind or something...those mountains are not inverted to my eye...they look wonderful! I've always thought (but never tried) of combining Ascension's tutorial with Pasis or Soixante's mountain tutorials...something truly glorious would result from them.

Ravs

p.s. I'm begining to think that some of the lite entries are often better than my poor shows at the normal entries!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    p.s. I'm begining to think that some of the lite entries are often better than my poor shows at the normal entries!
    False modesty does not become us

This is looking great so far!

I can see them better today - I think it's because the light source isn't the top left, but rather (I think) bottom right.

Now that I can see the proverbial young lady/old crone at will, I can definitely say, they look fantastic.

Thank you for your patience. Lack of sleep and my cold/flu are not kind to me. Everything was becoming an optical illusion.

The colors on this map are so vibrant! I love it! Your mountains look so much more crisp than mine... I'm jealous.

I had a bit of the same reaction as guy... not so much with the mountains, but a bit of disconnect. I think it was because the sea looks so much like a sky (to me). I'm not sure I would change it... its very pretty, and probably just my own preferences that cause the disconnect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast