Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the "last 15 forum posts" work?

Post Does the "last 15 forum posts" work?

This is not a complaint. Way too much works on this site both socially and technically for me to ever complain.

Out of curiosity, it seems to me that the "Last 15 posts from the forums" (at http://www.cartographersguild.com/) doesn't work. I visit enough to see my own posts listed in the list but I don't see a number of the posts available through the "New Posts" button.

Has anyone else felt this? Anyone confirm it?

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I has always just assumed that it was supposed to be threads and not posts.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yes, it only lists new threads and there is a delay.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Yeah, I find that the New Posts button is the only way I can keep track. I tried the RSS feed too, but that's only new threads as well

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah I'm not nearly as happy with vBulletin's RSS feeding as I was with phpbb...but thats a minor complaint compared to the other problems of phpbb...It is only new threads, not new threads with new posts. And there is a delay because the RSS feed gathering software I use on the homepage is cached.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I hear ya, I've run a phpbb-based forum and vbulletin is indeed much better. I really liked IPB as well, but they're proprietary and expensive >.<

All in all, hitting the "new post" link is not that onerous

Blog Entries

my choice to go with vBulletin was based on what I consider the premier Art Community websites out there for Pro artists to talk amongst themselves. cgsociety.org and conceptart.org

They've both modded their forums sooo deeply though that it must be a nightmare to patch them.

I sometimes wish I had a php programming co-admin with me that had time to customize our forum beyond just publicly available mods...RobA could probably do it, but I don't know if he has the kind of time to be doing it without an exorbitant paycheck lol.

What kind of modding do you need? I've been known to write a few php functions from time to time ... we could probably work something out where I make changes to some vbulletin vanilla code, and you could have RobA (or anyone else you've known a lot longer than me) look them over before you actually put them on your server.

Edit: At the least, I could probably write something that would send the RSS feed all posts, rather than just new threads.

Blog Entries

Well, if you take a look at the cgsociety and the way they do the cgportfolio and the cgchoice galleries, thats the kind of stuff I'd like to do. Forum driven Galleries. http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121

We have a Cartographers Choice gallery, but it doesn't have those thumbnails...those thumbnails are fantastic!

I'm authorized a development installation of vBulletin, so I could make that happen for you if you're really interested. But I don't make enough money off the site to pay you. I make just about enough to cover the costs and the software, with a little bit for overhead of my own.

I don't volunteer and then hold my hand out lol ... I don't expect money. It's a way of giving back. I've been around all of 2 weeks and I've already learned so much. We've totally jacked this thread, but I really am interested in helping. We can hash out details over pm or an IM of some type if you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast