Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [unpaid]Duel Arenas

Help [unpaid]Duel Arenas

Hello people, I'm new here. I'm running a tournament-like event on an RPG forum and I need 6 different duel maps for two two-men teams fighting. I need it ASAP and with some obstacles, different items to use, places to hide, covers etc..

I don't have any programs to do cartography and I'm not much of a cartographer myself. So, if someone could help me it would be very useful and I would be very pleased; but since I'm living in Turkey and am an alone-living student, I can't pay anything.

Just a suggestion... asking for something free, but also using words like "ASAP" is a good way not to get what you want
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

I would check out our finished map section - try the thumbnails and look through. If your posting the maps on another forum then it might be good to ask the owners of the maps if thats ok. Theres gotta be a few maps in there that fit the bill.

Hi Danbereth!

Following on from Gandwarf...the word 'please' often helps if you want stuff for free. Also please read the sticky about defining what it is you actually want so potential respondents to your request have a better idea of what you require and whether they want to do it for you.

I do understand that BBS's are anonymous places, but everyone reading your post is another human being who likes to be treated as such and not a resource for your own projects.

Being somewhat older and around before the internet was invented, this expectation that people on the internet will do what you want because you demand it is an exercise in futility.

In short, please treat people here as you would expect to be treated.

I think I'll amend the sticky to say that.

Your project sounds interesting, but if you want to engage people in it to help you, you have to first:

1. tell them more about it
    2. tell them exactly what you want
    3. treat them like human beings.

best of luck! (and I suggest you edit your original post and try again)

Ravs

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Some rough sketches also help, they don't have to be great but basic shapes with words that say something like "barrels here" or "pile of junk here". That way the people can see if it something that they can actually do just by looking at it.

Cheers.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hi Danbereth,

I'm not an expert cartographer, I'm just learning, but I might be interested in drawing up some arenas, depending how good they need to be and how soon you want them.

I could maybe use them myself, so my help isn't entirely altruistic.

Are they fantasy or scifi?

As ascension said, some sketches would be useful.

If you are likely to need more stuff in the future, it would be a good idea for you to get some of the free software such as Inkscape and Gimp and have a go.

As I found when I joined, you'll get more help to improve your own skills than help to draw stuff for you.

Let me know what you need.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Alright, editing my older post would be awkward. I'd like people to see what I've done, and I'm really sorry for it. Yesterday was not a good day for me at all.. So, I'm here, apologizing.

Redrobes thanks for advice. I've actually found two beautiful battle maps here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=860 and I'm going to ask NeonKnight if I could use them or not.

Ravells thanks for advices.

Alright, the tournament will be a two on two dueling event. If there are people who know about DnD (and I saw there were), I actually need some DnD miniatures battle map just like the ones in the link I gave above; but without any bonuses for classes or races. I want every little class and race to be equal with others; but I also want some obstacles to make the battle a little bit more entertaining. I really would not care the types of obstacles. The people who are vounteering to help can prefer which kinds of obstacles they can use.

Ascension, again thanks for advice. Guess I won't need a sketch with the example I gave above. But thanks again..

Icosahedron, I would really appreciate your help. They don't need to be "really" good; but I'd like something like the examples I gave above. I want them until June or July and I guess (if I can get the permission from the owners) I already found 4 arenas by searching around. The arenas should be fantasy.

And thanks everybody already for your helps.. I'm seriously sorry for behaving awkwardly.

I applaud your latest post, Danbereth. I hope someone can help you.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Now that's a good post dude. The link says almost everything. There are a lot of dungeon designers here so I'm sure you'll get some feedback. You might also want to look on the Dunjinni user forums as there are some uber sweet dungeons there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post A (Possible) Rhetorical Question and (More Likely) Threadjack

Does ASAP (As Soon As Possible) really have a negative connotation?

I was pleased when I was able to get my former boss to use ASAP instead of 'I needed it yesterday'...
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast