Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May/June Light Entry: Errland

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The river issue was mentioned.

To clarify, the left shows the downhill directions for your river to make sense. (while possibly, is highly unlikely to have occured )

The right is a possible fix. The one joining river comes in from the same uphill direction. In order to five the same visual weight, I made the river meander (likely in a softer soil, fairly flat region) and added a number of possibly oxbow lakes caused by the meandering.

Hope the suggestion helps!

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivs.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	13543  

Guild Novice

Thanks for all the advice, that was extraordinarily expedite (look at me I use grown-up words).
    Ravells, I will check out you mountain tutorial, hopefully is works in Gimp equally as well as Photoshop.
    Gandwarf, thanks for pointing out my error with the river, and Roba thanks for elaborating, the picture your added is extremely helpful (I guess thats why your the river police). I could be lazy and say they become underground rivers, but I want this river to look somewhat natural.
    I will improve my map and hopefully add a better version this weekend, so stay tuned.

Guild Novice

Wip

Okay, heres the latest. I fixed the river, tell me what you think about them.
    I didn't fixed the mountains, I haven't looked at any of the tutorials yet, sorry ravells. But, I did experiment, tell me what you think about the Volcano on the Island. I also experimented with the river lakes and the marsh near the top.
    My next step is to check out ravells' tutorial, and fix the mountains. Then I'm going to add some tribe/village things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapChal1-3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	702.1 KB 
ID:	13691  
    Last edited by lab205; 05-27-2009 at 01:57 PM.

I would say seeing your first try this is very pretty. For the rivers: I would cut the little stream that's flowing from the lake to the delta.
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing I see is that the lake has 3 egresses (outflowing rivers) so I'd cut the two on the top left leaving a northeast to southwest flow. If the two on the top left have to stay then I'd put some big hills in the southwest (between the lake and the delta) to force the river to flow northwest.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12