Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May/June Lite Entry: County of Clether

Actually I have problems with the size. I draw in 2000*2000 pixels but have to resize it to 1000*1000 because the .png picture is about 7.8 MB big.
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Save it as a jpg then, should save a lot on the file size. I don't know if Gimp has this feature but in Photoshop I can set a slider for when my images are too large (in the file size not pixel dimensions), so by reducing quality the size goes down and I can upload. Most of my posts are this way.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip

Ok, latest WIP as test-jpg. And I want to see how the Names and the streets are working.

Edit: Thank you very much Ascension! That's what I was looking for. OK, now you can take a closer look...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LiteMayjun2-4.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	13552  
    Last edited by Zar Peter; 05-22-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely...

There are a couple spots where your road(s) lay on top of your cities - should be easy to fix. Also, you might consider changing the color of the bevels on your rivers to something a little less dark (a light brown or dark tan).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

Thanks Steel, yes the roads were easily to fix. Changed the Bevel of the Rivers, too (only one instead of three bump maps).

Other changes: Adjusting of the River ends, City-, River-, Sea and Island names completed.

Lates WIP:

Name:	LiteMayjun2-5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	13696  

Wip

So, I think this could be the end version... I'm not sure about the colors of the frame, though.

Name:	LiteMayjun2-7.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	13857  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

With your light yellow green land, the complimentary color (opposite) would be a dark reddish purple, the split compliments would be dark reddish orange or dark bluish purple...I'd go with the dark reddish orange.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Love the scroll and the extensive labels! The map has a very complete and flavorful feel. I like the border as is, but I can certainly appreciate the desire to tweak it and asc's advice sounds typically well-reasoned.

Wip

Thank you for the kind words, I'm really pleased how the scroll turned out. It was worth the work.

I think this is the last version, I added a scale (again thanks to RobA for the find, it made it a lot easier!) and I tried to get a better high feeling of the land mass (means: I bumped it a bit more ).
    I let the frame as it is, I tried a few oranges but they didn't look better than the red I have.
    I must say I learned a lot about Gimp (and how to draw maps) with this challenge, thanks for the opportunity.

Name:	LiteMayjun3-0mitRahmen.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	13952  

Zounds! A goodly map indeed!

I love:

The colours: Super saturated, but they work really well.
    The city symbols: lovely.
    The graticule at an angle: can't recall seeing that before - it's really cool.
    The beaches.

I don't like so much:

The border: It looks a bit like those lights around mirrors in an actor's dressing room and the colours clash with the map. if you're using photoshop one way I use to make my borders is to select the whole map and use the average filter and use that as the border colour. It always kind of looks right because it's the average colour of all the colours in the map. I'm sure there are other better ways.

Lack of text on a curve on the sea labels: I think much of that text would be much nicer if it was on a curve. Having it as it is creates distracting patterns.

The scroll texture: it looks too pixellated - but that's a really small crit.

My fave place is the 'swamp o' death' -- I've been calling everything I've been making recently the '..... o' death' so it's nice to see someone else do it too. Pernis Island, Double Twin Island and Booty Island made me laugh...(that's just my filthy mind).

Really great map, Zar!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast