Thread: May/June Lite Entry: Ever expanding environs of Tavor

Blog Entries

Post May/June Lite Entry: Ever expanding environs of Tavor

So its been a while since I did a map and its dead tempting to do the main challenge what with all the prizes on offer but I don't really have time to make one with the quality required to get anywhere near a winning placement and I think others would benefit a lot more from those prizes anyway.

So Ravs map needed to be placed into the CWBP tile and a little adjustment of the lake is required to make it fit so I thought it was a good chance to do a regional map and enter this at the same time. We dont have many regional maps other than the big tiles in the CWBP so a lot of the time the cities get done but are merest pixels on the tile until zoomed up so this should be a rare case of getting some smaller scales in there.

We have to shunt Tavor down from the big black dot to the city marked up on Ravs map so I will create the map around Ravs map covering the as yet unnamed lake, the few small places of trees and theres some mountains on the left so ill just nip one in there right on the left hand side. We have two new rivers to mark up too.

I thought to add a little spice to this id try to match Ravs style so I hope to have a map that looks like theres this funny Celtic square border thing in the middle but whether I can do that I don't know. Still, should be fun to try and ill be out of my comfort zone a bit. Prob do most of this in PSP and some stamping in ViewingDale from tokens stolen gratuitously from Ravs map. No 3D this time and no scripted auto textures

So here's the base info which I have to match up to...

Blog Entries

There, sorted out lining it up and the extents. So this will become Tavoronia !

But that's enough for one evening - and prob all that ill be able to do until the w/e.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Overview1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	13448  

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turn out. I think imitating an existing style is an interesting challenge!

Blog Entries

Here's a bit more effort. Its time consuming trying to fiddle with the colors to match up with an existing reference. Got a bit more to do but not too much. It was only supposed to be the region not something with too much detail in it.

Name:	Tavoronia5.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	643.9 KB 
ID:	13818  

Blog Entries

Some roads going in now...

Name:	tmp.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	13822  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-31-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Blog Entries

Done a bit more today. Probably leave it at this what with the time running out. I think it has enough for anyone to mark up some more detail on it if they feel like it.

I never got Ravells forest edging quite right and I didn't match the font quite right in some places but its alright.

Name:	Entry1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	448.1 KB 
ID:	13985  

Still a very good effort, even despite the few parts you didn't quite hit right. I really like the effect of the two matching frames... one around the whole map and the other around Rav's part.

How did y'all do the elevation tics? Did you just use a brush?

Blog Entries

I made the single little icon in paint shop pro with a color and shape trying to match Ravells ticks. Then I take this into my ViewingDale app and use its pathing tool. Theres a video of this on another map but exactly the same thing.

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/VD...Demo2_xvid.avi

Basically I can get it to repeat the icon as it follows the mouse. Dropping ticks as the mouse moves.

Blog Entries

I guess I ought to show the map in context too.

Name:	Entry2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	13986