Thread: Port Obsidian (town)

Post Port Obsidian (town)

Here is a map of a port town I finished last week, for a D&D campaign.

Drew the main lines, buildings and features using Inkscape (at a scale of 1mm = 1 foot) then took it into Photoshop for colouring, layering and keying.

Comments welcome.

Simon

p.s. the 'world' it is in has been posted in the outdoor/world section (Land of Black Glass).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port_Obsidian.jpg 
Views:	1779 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	13484  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a good start...here's some suggestions;

1) Match your river and ocean/sea color a little more closely so they blend better.
    2) You made some great use of textures for your terrain, try something similar with the trees and roads

Looking forward to seeing this devlop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

What does the different colour outlines on the buildings mean? I really like the general layout of the town. I agree with everything Steel General said (especially about the river). It is a very good start and I hope we will see more. BTW, Port Obsidian is a cool name for a town.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Oooh, more towns. I must have missed this one
    Now, let's give you some rep for your first map.

I like the layout of the town and the housing, but I also have some criticism:

- Your river seems to start out of nowhere, I would just draw it to the edge of the map.
    - Like already suggested: make the river and sea match more in color.
    - Some of the cliffs have been drawn using black lines, other using brown lines. What's up with that? I would stick with one color.
    - If you want to suggest height you could darken the grass texture in the areas that are lower.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks all for the comments.

I will go back to work on the river & sea, the trees too (not happy with the trees, they didn't turn out as well as I hoped). The black lines for the cliffs is to highlight what's a cliff and what are hills (i.e. the brown lines).

The different colours are for types of buildings, roughly. Black are common houses, huts, small storage barns and the like. The coloured ones with no key are typical businesses (all noted on the site where the map is: here) and the keyed areas are locations of note, such as inns, taverns, merchants houses, that sort of thing.

Thanks again

Simon

I love city and town maps. Kudo's to you for drawing this map and letting us see it here. I have one observation as well. Most of the buildings are the same size and shape. May I suggest driving around your town or look at Google maps to get an idea of different shapes. Most schools, houses of worship are larger then houses. Most wealthier areas will have bigger houses, etc. Keep up the great work.
    Website & blog: Knightvisiongames.com
    Twitter: @kvgames