Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: May/June Light Entry: The Yawning Straight and Environs

Blog Entries

More spelling corrections, Switched most of the trees to conifers, added a slight white border around the text, ditched the grey, and added some distressing and a parchment background.

Used this parchment texture under the terms of CC-BY 3.0: http://djpstock.deviantart.com/art/P...xture-62391064\

I'm afraid this is a rather larger file than previous. Before I had been getting away with 16 colours this is 256. Still thankfully doesn't need truecolour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-contest-2.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	13675  

Blog Entries

Hai-Etlik, I like your map, but the trees seem a bit large in scale standing next to the mountains as they do. I don't know how much effort it would require, but perhaps you can scale them down a good bit and see how that looks.

Really hreat work. I like this alot. rep...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    I'm afraid this is a rather larger file than previous.
    If this is still all in inkscape then your probably best off exporting to a JPEG now that you have the distressing applied. If tweaked in GIMP then its best to keep it in its own file format or PNG but make a JPEG for uploading as an attachment. The distressing in PNG will make the file size go through the roof as its essentially noise. That makes the PNG compression very poor where JPEG being lossy will maintain a half decent file size at the expense of adjusting that noise into different lower memory pixels which will still look pretty noisy. If your clamping to 256 color then you might find that for a given amount of file size the non clamped lossy JPEG might look as good or better than a clamped but lossless PNG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12