Thread: punchy colour trick in photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post punchy colour trick in photoshop

This is a Scott Kelby trick (well he learned it from someone else) I learned reading one of his books to improve photographs to get the colours of your image more punchy.

Image>mode>lab colour
    Image> apply image

Then choose either lab colour, a or b in the drop down menu and make sure you either go for soft light or multiply...

may give your map an interesting colour twist.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

After I tried this I can see this being useful in antique maps. It adds something of an orange and blue color tone in soft light mode and a red to gray in multiply mode. Playing around with the other modes, I like overlay and pin light.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I was intrigued to see this effect and so I tried it on my map with some interesting results.
    The one I thought was most interesting was when I selected channel A and Linear Light blend mode. It left my landmass pretty much alone but gave my oceans a nice blue colour, like a light ink wash.

I think it looks quite cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya16 - alternate.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	13634

Incidentally, I'm not sure why (I'm sure someone could tell me) but when I view an image in PS the colour range is significantly different to when viewed in Windows picture viewer or in Firefox. For instance, the image I have posted seems to lose some green in the transition, the new blue colour for instance seems to lack a greenish tinge that shows in the original in PS which is a shame. I imagine it is something to do with the "Color Settings" in PS but I have no idea what they should be set to. :S
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt