Thread: Harmona of the Twin Kingdoms

Map Harmona of the Twin Kingdoms

also posted in the regional map forum.

Harmona is one of the kingdoms that makes up the Twin Kingdoms. Harmona is rich in natural resources, and has become an economic epicenter of the known world. It exports to Sephora, where its recources are worked into finished goods.

Harmona is ruled by a legion of six noble houses, called the high nobility. Each Noble house owns a province called a 'holding', which are governed by many smaller noble houses that pay sufferage to the high houses.

This is the region i will be running upcoming DnD campaigns in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twin Kingdoms Map copy.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	13502  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice simple map, the knife, rose and compass(?) are nice additions.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The color scheme is near flawless, the map is simple and direct which plays nicely against the added complex elements. The only problem that I have is that these elements look like flat paper cut-outs with a drop shadow. I can see the look you were going for but I think you only got halfway there. I realize that the elements could best be done in some 3d modeling program and that not everyone can afford that, like myself. Overall, the image is more about the decorations and the map is an afterthought. I don't want to sound too harsh so there are some good points, like the color scheme and the idea of adding said decorations.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The only problem that I have is that these elements look like flat paper cut-outs with a drop shadow. I can see the look you were going for but I think you only got halfway there. I realize that the elements could best be done in some 3d modeling program and that not everyone can afford that, like myself. Overall, the image is more about the decorations and the map is an afterthought.
    Well, this is my first ever attempt at photoshop, with no previous experience to speak of. yeah, i realize that it looks somewhat cutout like; that is mostly because i was teaching myself as i went along. ultimately this was just an experiment to see if i could use the media; i was copying a map id already made with watercolor.

However, i agree, the ultimate effect leaves something to be desired. i promise that before i submit my next map, ill have read up on how to mesh photographs to achieve a more realistic effect.
    Last edited by vman3force; 05-21-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's pretty nice for a first go, so please take my words with a grain of salt Don't mean to discourage you at all but rather hope to help...somehow...if I can. Maybe one of the fine fellas here can rough up some simple objects in order to lay down a good shadow. I'll see what I can do in SketchUp and post it up.

edit: apparently, my SU-fu is fading as I can't even draw some basic curves or use the follow-me tool. Man I have to brush up on that, sorry.
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-21-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like that map a lot! Well done. Have some rep.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Journeyer

Looks great like a map you would find sitting on a table.