Thread: First attempts using Saderan

Guild Member

Map First attempts using Saderan

Hello everyone, just recently joined and have been looking at various tuts so I thought I'd let you all see my first 2 attempts (Tyræþos and Linðænes) using Tear's superb Saderan tutorial. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyraethos.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	112403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lindhaenes.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	112404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyraethos.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	112403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lindhaenes.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	112404

Any feedback would be most welcome

Cheers

Stìophan

P.S. I'm a fluent (Scottish) Gaelic speaker so If any wants advice on Gaelic topography and geographical terms please get in touch

Welcome to the Guild!

You seem to have posted both of your attachments twice Well, no matter, better twice than not visible at all.

Very nice first attempts! The Saderan tutorial is almost a Guild classic by this point and for good reason - it's a fantastic starting point and will get you familiar with some essential tools of efficient PS mapping. Don't be afraid to start experimenting and tweaking the values of the Layer Styles, however - I think both of these are looking a bit too mellow in terms of color right now. The green in particular could use a bit more of an earthy tone, it doesn't look very natural right now. I'd also consider dropping the scale down on the Pattern overlay on the first map, you have large dark points all over the greenery and it looks a little odd.

I think the mountains too are looking a little soft - you could maybe try adding an extra 'peak' level on top of these ones and work with a smaller brush, in order to give them a little more edge.

Overall, I'd say you're definitely headed in the right direction - keep at it. And it's really cool that you speak Gaelic! I've always been fascinated by the language.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Good work with that ! Just maybe a point on the first map : a river seems to start from the sea and then go back to the sea... Maybe it's me and I read the map the wrong way ? Maybe if the island is separated in two by the sea, the "river" could be a bit larger to avoid this strange feeling ?
    Anyway, for a first attempt, it's really promising !

It happens even twice in that diagonal ... continental rift ... thingy ... you have going on there. Looks like two lakes are being drained into two directions at onse, which is physically not possible. These parts should better be very narrow fjords to not be confused with rivers.

Guild Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the feedback, a really appreciate it. I have no idea how I managed to post the images twice lol

With regards to Tyræþos (the one with the Rift Valley) I was trying to base it on the Great Glen fault in the Scottish Highlands which appears to be a continuous flow but I think will will look at them again.

I do agree the colours look a bit washed out. Maybe I followed the tutorial a bit too close

Labels might have been a good idea too ....

I'm currently re-working Tyræþos so will re-post when done

And again, any Gaelic queries please ask.

Tapadh leibh / Thanks

Stìophan