Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Kalyzha

Wip WIP - Kalyzha

Hello ALL! I have been lurking around here far too long, and after seeing the release of Shegu, by Bohunk, I was inspired to use some of the same methods and start a new map of my own.

This is the first map I have really sat down and worked at with a purpose behind it. Before this, I might would draw or doodle a little something out, but it never went beyond that. With that said this is my first all digital mapping endeavor, using FT to make my islands, followed by PS CS4 to do the rest of what you see here.

This is just the beginning and I look forward to all comments and critics alike as I continue to work on not only this piece, but hopefully many more to come down the road!

Thanks to all who choose to help me grow in this community!

-Lab
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kalyzha2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	13269  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wonderful cartouche and a good looking start. The only thing I'd offer up is maybe turn down the outer glow around the land...ie reduce the opacity some more. Otherwise, nice start.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

I think the mountain chains look a little bit too regular. It's a straight line of the same thickness everywhere. A litle variation here and there should look nice.

Post thanks

Thanks everyone, so far so good! I am definitely going to work on better mountains. They are really place fillers for the time being until I figure out what I want for the final draft.

I will also be working on the outer edges to make a smoother transition from land to sea.

Keep 'em coming!

-Lab

Post Quick Update

I have taken both suggestions thus far and implemented them into my design. I like how it looks, but I know until I see the final draft of it I will just continue tweaking little things here and there.

This is where it is at now, and I plan to work a lot more on it today, as long as the day goes as planned! Keeping my fingers crossed! LOL

Thanks again!

-Lab

Views:	64 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	13290  

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I like the mountains as much on this new post. I agree with Yoscha that they were too regular before, but I think they made more sense than having them randomly clustered around the map (even if I am guilty of that particular problem myself).
    I think you would have been better in just placing some mountains heading out from the main chains in various places, which would help disguise that it is a long straight line, and maybe shortening some of the chains that head off the main one.
    Of course, this is all subjective and really depends on how the rest of the map evolves.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Post Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I think you would have been better in just placing some mountains heading out from the main chains in various places, which would help disguise that it is a long straight line, and maybe shortening some of the chains that head off the main one.
    Of course, this is all subjective and really depends on how the rest of the map evolves.
    Yes Ramah, I too had that idea, but went with this one instead, so now I will look at combining the two, along with a little cleanup along those chains. Thanks and I'll be back soon with another quick update on those mountains.

-Lab

Post Quick Update

OK so here it is... I have taken all things into consideration. I brought back the original mountains, I clipped the chains a bit, and I added a few "smaller" mountains extruding from the main line. I also fixed two other things that I found just a few minutes ago, whether they will be noticed or not remains to be seen.

Thanks so much everyone!

-Lab

Views:	80 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	13291  

Guild Novice

Just nitpicking:
    Why are those mountains transparent? It's kind of irritating where two moutain symbols overlap. It somehow looks like glass mountains or something like this .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoscha View Post
    Just nitpicking:
    Why are those mountains transparent? It's kind of irritating where two moutain symbols overlap. It somehow looks like glass mountains or something like this .
    The transparency comes from the fact they are Photoshop brushes, which are transparent as to go with any background at any time. As time progresses and the final draft comes more near I will make sure to go through and erase each bit that stands out to me. Hard, no. Time consuming, oh boy...

-Lab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast