Thread: Gelbbruck - Work in progress

Wip Gelbbruck - Work in progress

My second attempt of making a city with Gimp... the city's called Gelbbrück (Yellowbridge) and since my players are just trying to sneak into it in the night I need a bit a better picture of it.

The houses in the south are for Iron working industry (melting ore and stuff), the rest are mostly residental buildings and little shop. Well, since I didn't put all houses in the picture you have to imagine.

Currently I'm playing with Rooftops (still not sure if I let them as they are) so comments and ideas for this would be great.

The art (wagons, Trees, one bush, well, chimney) is completely from Dundjinni free user art.

I started with a rough hand drawn sketch I attached, too. The players only know the sketch so far.

Oh yes, and no matter how far I come, the city is finished next weekend since after that I have to present it to my players.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gelbbruckv1-0.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	13333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skizze.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	13334  
    Avatar by courtesy of Castaras from the GiantitP-Forums

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's what I've been doing lately for roofs...pattern overlay plus gradient overlay (set to overlay mode). The pattern overlay I got at Dunjinni, it's not perfect since the shingles go up one side and down the other but you get the idea, the gradient is pretty simple. I've attached some pics to help you see how I did it in Photoshop so that you can convert it over to Gimp. The first pic is the final, the second is how the gradient looks without the pattern under it and the third is how the gradient is made: black at one end (50% opacity) to medium gray at about middle (but not quite) where it goes solid white (100% opacity) to medium gray at the other end. You may have to tweak the gradient according to light source (for this the light is from the top). Once you have this done, you can then rotate the house to fit where you want it.

Name:	roof1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	13340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof1.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	13341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof gradient.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	13342  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow... thank you both! Will work through it today...

Did something...

Ascension: I tried your method but with my homemade tiles it won't work. Than I downloaded some Dundjinni Roof Tiles and noticed that's all I need. They just need a bit of tweaking....

Redrobes: I think I need more time to get this tutorial... somehow it's confusing me. But the Roofs definitely are looking great.

Ah well, for now I'm doing my roofs out of Dundjinni:

Name:	Gelbbruckv1-1.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	13350  

So, I think I call this thing done and start thinking about what my players shall find in the village.

Comments are still welcome but I don't think I will change very much.

Name:	Gelbbruckv2-01.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	13358