Thread: Futuristic City [C&C welcome]

Post Futuristic City [C&C welcome]

Hi all,

I am trying to put together a map for the city of Angelus. The basics are this - the year is 2112 with a minor post-apocalyptic feel. This is an anime styled world with magic, esper, and cybernetic (Blade Runner and Matrix meet Harry Dresden at the Kung-Fu action theater).

Angelus is a floating city in the pacific with an out of control population in the tens of millions. A city of highrises and constant rain. Obviously, it was engineered but it also has an issue with sprawl so streets and mag-lev lines should not be all that strait. It is divided into sectors and within each sector there might be a number of neighborhoods.

Given that, this is what I've got.

I'd be dearly interested to hear crits that might see some improvement for the finished map. I'm working in Illustrator and have moderate ability but I am learning.

Thanks!

PS - wasn't sure if this should go in "city/town" forum or in "Sci-Fi" forum?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Angelus_Map11.jpg 
Views:	2112 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	13520  

I think it works really well.
    I have one mayor nitpick though: the red lines. They mess with my vision! You might want to consider a different color or maybe make them dotted or something.

Otherwise I like this map, have some rep.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Really nice crisp graphic representation. Excellent work!

My only concern, I guess is that the map is bright and clean but the character of the city is dark and dystopian so there might be a bit of a mis-match there.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ditto what Ravs said...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'll third Ravs, your description sounds just like Bladerunner. With that many people I would think that there would be numerous levels of maglevs, the problem is how to represent them and do they really work? I can't help but get the traffic scene from the 5th element out of my head...floating cars everywhere. As far as what you have here, it is very clean and clear and professional looking and that's a good thing, now ya gotta rough it up
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Interesting thoughts on the visuals of the campaign. Very insightful. Thanks.

Ascension - ground traffic is still primary transportation. Mag-Lev is an elevated "EL." Still, you bring up some issues that are pretty legit. I puzzled over it but couldn't come up with anything... maybe one of the big brains around here will have an idea.

I like the this a lot. What program did you use to create this? I was wondering if there was a way for you to add something a little extra to the Meg-Lev lines to make it stand out better. Perhaps a minor outer glow or a thin stroke (outline)? Personally I don't have a problem with the red but I can see how others might.

As for Ravi's suggestion about it being too shiny for a cyberpunkesque setting I guess it would depend on how the city was trying to present itself. The city might be trying to present an image as a shining technological beacon of hope in reality it is a mechanical nightmare. Arkm, your city sounds like it would fit right in with a Shadowrun game. Keep up the great work!
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

I used Adobe Illustrator (CS 2).

Good idea with the stroke/effect. I might see if I can make that work. Something that says "I'm cooler than a road."

The setting is hard to define but what I've found interesting is that it can easily be spun in different directions as one desires. It could be a pretty strait psiberpunk game. It could easily hold a Dresden-verse game.

I imagined a game similar to the Matrix where cyborgs replace agents and the "heroes" are people who inadvertently stumbled upon hyper-real mathematics within the modern computer code - the stars are right, and something is awakening but it is a program or at least that is how it is perceived.

Then there is always the option of strait cyberpunk ala Bladerunner, Minority Report, Equilibrium, or Gattica.

It is a modern/future RPG Rorschach test.

The city is enough that it can house whatever game the GM sees in the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    I like the this a lot. What program did you use to create this? I was wondering if there was a way for you to add something a little extra to the Meg-Lev lines to make it stand out better. Perhaps a minor outer glow or a thin stroke (outline)? Personally I don't have a problem with the red but I can see how others might.

As for Ravi's suggestion about it being too shiny for a cyberpunkesque setting I guess it would depend on how the city was trying to present itself. The city might be trying to present an image as a shining technological beacon of hope in reality it is a mechanical nightmare. Arkm, your city sounds like it would fit right in with a Shadowrun game. Keep up the great work!
    I am running a Shadowrun game and it sounds like that is what he described.. nice map by the way.