Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Hand drawn mtns. and other stylistic map elements for use in PS/GIMP

Congrats, Ironmetal! 5 compasses are much harder to get than before and you got the first on the new criterion!

Hahaha thanks guys

Advice on buildings? I think so! I just drew some flying ziggurats and science/magic hybrid cities for my Tlaocazotl map so I guess you could say I'm in the mood!

Anyways. For these cities I just drew a single building and that was it (or in the case of the levitating ring cities the entire city is one building).

I've attached the upload where I drew all my buildings, I'll work on some more general-use buildings later because I realize these are pretty specialized.

But in general, use geometric, three dimensional shapes... a rectangular prism is the best, I think, for general buildings, and shade the same side/wall that you shaded your mountains on. You can draw these as big as you want to shrink them so feel free to add as many details as you can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flying ziggurats.PNG 
Views:	2554 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	14689  
    Last edited by ironmetal250; 07-08-2009 at 09:13 PM.

very nice, i like the shading on the mountains! i think if you incorporated a T-square/ruler combination to your process it would take your drawings to the next level.

Then again, the hand made feeling is kind of nice.

Thanks for the info man!

-Adam
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com

Thanks for the Tut ironmetal, its a big help especially to newbies like me. I hope to see more from you.
    Finis Coronat Opus

Guild Novice

Praise Thank you!

Just found this tutorial! I needed help with my mountains, and this looks like it should do the trick!

Awesome tutorial -- thanks for putting it up!

With your permission I would like to post a photoshop brushes file with all your mountains from the first post. I think they are awesome and am sure many people would love to use them. If you don't want these to be public then let me know and I will take them down.

Edit: Turned your trees into a brush preset as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Nomadic; 07-25-2009 at 01:26 AM.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Can I just thankyou, I've been searching the web for days to try and find something like this and the results garnered by just a few minutes working on your technique has improved my mountains ten fold

Nice mountains! They look similar to what I myself came up with (although your maps have more detail than mine)

Very nice!

Praise

Thank You! Long time reader, first time poster.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast