Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood falls

Okay now i have regained my composure after wimpering in a corner for a bit, That is truly amazing work have rep! As for the Water Falls i preffer the first lighter pinkier one but the later rocky textures are so good! The thing is doing it by hand never really ocurred to me which is kind of stupid=( I'll go try my hand at Drawing the Blood fall with my tablet! Thanks for all the help ascension!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Anytime man, it's what I do. The trick for the drawn rocks is to use the burn tool and just make squiggles until it starts to look like something...start at the edge and then push some cracks inward, then squiggles, the use the dodge tool for creating some highlights and finish it off with burned shading. I'm not a big fan of patterns but it's definitely easier to get something nice and quick. Another thing to remember is that the higher things are the lighter they will be (generally). Lastly, since you want the focus to be on the floor you might try blurring the stuff closer to "the camera".

Cheers, mate.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thaks very much Ascension sadly the thing wont let me give you anymroe rep=(

Just in case you wanted to add some texture to the lava, here is a simple method that I use:

1. create a new layer (white background) over the lava layer
    2. fill it with solid noise (filters->render->clouds->solid noise, and put the two sliders to 16)
    3. convert either black or white to transparency, depending on whether you want dark or light texture (layer->transparency->color to alpha)

Its very simple and there are better ways to do it, but its an easy way to add some more details and richness to the liquid. I agree with ace... its a little flat right now.

No matter what kind of map you are doing, I suggest you work through the gimp tutorials. The techniques that are used to, say, create a mountain range can be applied in a *lot* of things that aren't mountains to add detail and depth.

Righto next step!
    I have done kinda of a huge change since my last step due to ascension inspiring me, The Blood fall i recolored and burned a bit to make it look like what i was looking for but i just couldnt get it right by hand so i used ascensions as a template (hope you dont mind) The rocks i had a lot of fun with using the dodge/burn tools to great success (thanks for putting me onto these tools to ascension!) i added some texture to the blood aswell, and lastly a bridge which I'm Quite Pleased with! So CC is welcome as usual! and thanks for all your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blood falls. Rocks and blood fall done.Jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	13821  

Right on, dude. If that were any more metal my head would fall off...now just put a cool font on there like Sanctuary or Belial's Blade...wonder if there is a Dethklok font.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Thanks Ascension, and thanks everyone who gave me 10 rep since my lsat post=)

Ob by the way should i post the finished thing in finished maps as well or jsut leave it here?

What I usually do is just leave it here for a day or two to see if anyone spots any errors then I put it in the finished maps section. If you're going to do anything more to it then it's not done yet so keep it here until you're totally done with it...labels are the hardest part usually so see what others think first.

Wip

Well i've added the title now.

EDIT: dont Really like the fire I'll Probably redo it tommorow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bloof falls on Parchmentxcf.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	13833  

So can anyone see anything wrong with it? Do you think it's done? I'm quite pleased with it my self but I'm not very experianced and i might be missing something...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast