Hey guys! I'm new here. I thought I'd give digital mapmaking a go (Usually I just draw. I figured best would be to start out 'small', with an island based kingdom of about 2000 by 1000 Km.

Geological map of the area:

Territorial Division into Duchies and Baronies:

Explanation:
The bright blue lines indicate the border of a Duchy. Within the Duchies you will find bright yellow lines indicating the border of a Barony.
The main reason for the enormous difference in size is geological and political. Some area's are barren wasteland, and a single Duke or Baron can manage far more territory than say, irrigated farmland area's.
Apart from that it's mostly landmarks that mark a border: A ridge of mountains, a large river or something like that.
The black circles mark a major city, note that these are not the only towns and cities in the kingdom, just the largest ones.
The black square marks the capitol city.

This is purely for testing what I can do with brushes and such mapmaking wise. Please pay no attention to the ****tyness of the compass and the Km indicators xD

Any comments and critique, be it about the map itself, or the division of the kingdom, are welcome, and very much appreciated!