Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adunai'il [Could use some river policing]

Wip Adunai'il [Could use some river policing]

I thought I should make a new thread considering this is a different map and the other one was in the wrong section to begin with.

I've been sort of following Ascension's antique map tutorial and I like it, and that's probably how it's going to end up being finished. We'll have to see. I'll be updating this thread once I get the political borders down, probably.

Anyways, my map could use some river policing as there are a lot of them. I haven't riverified all the areas yet, just most of the main landmass of the continent. I'm also really at a loss as to how to make the lakes in the middle look more ..natural I guess without ruining the flow [I'm probably going to run into the same problem at the top]. The area with the lakes and the most rivers is just supposed to be.. really wet I suppose, kind of sodden, but I don't know if this is the best way to get that across.

I'm also not sure whether I should include forests at this point, as I'm worried it might get too cluttered.

Anyways, thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapprospective copy.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	13149  

Rivers checked, so far so good. I think the lakes look ok. Forests may help to define political boundaries, as they could be (and probably often were, though I have nop evidence or knowledge to back this up) a barrier. Depending on the scale, the area with many rivers is not necessarily soggy, it just sees a lot of rain comparitively.

Good Start.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Well that's good. When I said kind of sodden, I meant lots of rain, so I'm glad that gets across as well.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Everything looks fine to me so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

That huge lake in the south, surrounded by mountains would I guess be large enough to be an inland sea? I don't know the rules when it comes to such things but I would imagine there would need to be enough heat to evaporate as much water as is coming in to it? Otherwise I'd guess it would need an overflow, maybe into the lakes to the north. Dunno.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

What you have so far looks fine to me.

If you're really worried about inland seas/big lakes, plus a waterlogged "feel" to boot, check out a waterways map for Michigan, USA. I live there, and it pretty much is what you're describing.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I couldn't find any river-based infractions, you're free to go on with your mapping
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    That huge lake in the south, surrounded by mountains would I guess be large enough to be an inland sea? I don't know the rules when it comes to such things but I would imagine there would need to be enough heat to evaporate as much water as is coming in to it? Otherwise I'd guess it would need an overflow, maybe into the lakes to the north. Dunno.
    It is an inland sea, it's endorheic. So, by the grace of it being my map I have decreed that there is enough evaporation and subsurface seepage to maintain the current level =p. Although I have considered turning it into a bay, I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's always a future option.

I'm still undecided as to what kind of world it is, I've toyed with the idea of it being sort of.. an inverse planet, like, being plastered to the inside of a sphere. Think lots of halo rings stuck together. But I'm notoriously bad at making decisions as I've been revising significant elements of my setting for years, my group gets understandably annoyed sometimes so we don't play in it very often. This is the first map I've done that isn't basically just a rough sketch. I'm finally feeling like it's nearing completion in my mind, so I'll hopefully be having more than just this single continent posted eventually.
    Last edited by TheMeanestGuest; 05-09-2009 at 09:55 PM.

I'm still undecided as to what kind of world it is, I've toyed with the idea of it being sort of.. an inverse planet, like, being plastered to the inside of a sphere. Think lots of halo rings stuck together.
    Wouldn't that be a Dyson sphere? If that is the case you have to remember that it would most likely be artificial and probably contain very few mountains and be very very Big for the surface to be far enough anything bright and warm enough to sustain life there.
    edit:
    Though if someone was capable of creating such device, they could probably do any kind of terrain they wanted anywhere.
    Last edited by pickaboo; 05-13-2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: afterthought

i like the rivers. you get a definite sense of elevation and ridges with the way they join together, even without any elevation lines...

as far as the southern lake... the land looks close enough together that a bay with two almost touching mountainous peninsulas might look good...

your call though.

phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast